S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

How to fit the alternator?

Old 04-18-2011, 03:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to fit the alternator?

My alternator packed up - I removed it and discovered the lower bolt was missing - not sure if this had anything to do with it packing up. I received a new high output alternator about three weeks ago, and this week the bolt finally arrived - my car has been standing since February.

Does anyone have a guide on how to get the alternator back in? I've checked the shop manual, and it looks easy enough, except I can hardly get my hands in the space available - and reattaching the the wires is proving difficult.

Any tips appreciated, I have the K&N FIPK which I've removed to make working a bit easier.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got a wife/gf? or a kid? id just ask some one with smaller hands to help... you may try a retractable gripper or something, but those are clumsy and hard to work with
Old 04-18-2011, 06:55 AM

I'll see if my girlfriend fiancé can help ... don't think she likes getting her hands dirty

EDIT: I've been corrected by my other half.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:31 AM

lmao, i know how that is, my girlfriend lives with me. She is pretty useful under a car tho, she helped me get my o2 sensor off the header because i couldn't fit in there... shes like 5 10 100pounds of nothing... veryyyyy useful in small engine compartments. i have also seen people rig crap up with duct tape to hold it in place for them, ie: my friend couldnt get his alternator on his teg held in place alone, so he duct taped it in place then put in the bolts
Old 04-18-2011, 10:50 AM

Received 3,728 Likes on 2,639 Posts

it is very easy to do, I did it a month ago. Remove entire intake system, remove the tension on the belt tensioner, remove the belt, remove bolts from altenernator, remove clip on rear of alternator ( I think it is green), and undo nut on the rear power wire (under the rubber boot) of the alternator. Make sure you unplug the battery first or you will generate sparks as you try to ratchet the power wire nut and you hit body ground. Reinstall in reverse, torque down the alternator bolts (2), install accesory belt., reattach battery and test if it fires up and runs.

It is very easy to acces everything once you remove the intake system and I have large clumsy hands. , hit me up if you need the torque specs on the two alternator bolts I have to check that when I get home.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
it is very easy to do, I did it a month ago. Remove entire intake system, remove the tension on the belt tensioner, remove the belt, remove bolts from altenernator, remove clip on rear of alternator ( I think it is green), and undo nut on the rear power wire (under the rubber boot) of the alternator. Make sure you unplug the battery first or you will generate sparks as you try to ratchet the power wire nut and you hit body ground. Reinstall in reverse, torque down the alternator bolts (2), install accesory belt., reattach battery and test if it fires up and runs.

It is very easy to acces everything once you remove the intake system and I have large clumsy hands. , hit me up if you need the torque specs on the two alternator bolts I have to check that when I get home.
Thanks - that's basically my plan - is it necessary to use a torque wrench though? I don't have one....

(I do have the shop manual which have the torque specs)
Old 04-19-2011, 03:37 AM

Received 3,728 Likes on 2,639 Posts

Originally Posted by xrapidx
Originally Posted by JFUSION' timestamp='1303152642' post='20479303

Thanks - that's basically my plan - is it necessary to use a torque wrench though? I don't have one....

(I do have the shop manual which have the torque specs)
Well, snug it down tight so it doesn't come loose (2 bolts) but don't go nuts such that it strips.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Well, snug it down tight so it doesn't come loose (2 bolts) but don't go nuts such that it strips.
Think that's what I might do - and then check it each couple of days to make sure it hasn't come loose.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:56 PM
Banned

So any downsides to the new higher output alternator?
Old 05-03-2011, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Kyushin
So any downsides to the new higher output alternator?
From my side its been running fine - although I've only done about 200km - miserable weather at the moment (rain).

Quick Reply: How to fit the alternator?