S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

How does an "performance" oil pan help?

Old 11-13-2001, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does an "performance" oil pan help?

I'm not even sure what the difference between oil pans is.. Anyone have some light to shed on this?
Old 11-13-2001, 10:47 AM

The main benefit may be to keep the oil from sloshing around too much on high g corners/maneuvering such that there is always oil under the pickup tube to be distributed by the oil pump. Baffling helps this.

The oil pans might also allow more oil at oil fill and/or more external fins for extra cooling.
Old 11-14-2001, 01:45 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Internal baffles keep the oil from all going to one side during hard cornering. If the oil all goes to one side you may starve the pick up and pick up air instead of oil. larger oil capacity and external cooling fins also help in the equation.
Old 11-14-2001, 02:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

BTW, the S2000 has all of the features you would look for. A full baffle to keep the oil in place, substantial capacity, and cooling fins.
Old 11-14-2001, 04:03 PM

cdelena,

You mean the stock S2000 pan or the Mugen one?

If the stock has all that why buy the mugen? Also why the #4 starvation with stock?
Old 11-14-2001, 04:31 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by KeithD
[B]cdelena,

You mean the stock S2000 pan or the Mugen one?

If the stock has all that why buy the mugen?
Old 11-14-2001, 04:38 PM

I agree with the above post! Also an oil pan such as the one spoon makes,(I don't know if they make one for the S2000 yet?) is designed to keep the oil from splashing on the crank so much letting the engine rev more smoothly(higher), without so much rotating mass or restriction. The oil pan is for cars that do many many laps also. It help keep the engine temp cooler using the added oil capacity. I don't know how much a normal driven car, even ones that go to some road racing would benefit from one? I would like to know if anyone has seen any difference using an after market oil pan.
Old 11-14-2001, 04:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And if the S2000 was three times the price it is now it would have a set up like the M5. The onboard computer understands what side of the oil pan the oil has moved to during hard g-force cornering, braking and accelerating and uses the multiple pickup points to get the oil from the location it has sloshed to. WOW!
Old 11-14-2001, 05:07 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sp00nWoT
[B]Also an oil pan such as the one spoon makes,(I don't know if they make one for the S2000 yet?) is designed to keep the oil from splashing on the crank so much letting the engine rev more smoothly(higher), without so much rotating mass or restriction.
Old 11-15-2001, 04:44 AM

I was talking to the chief mechanic at the local Honda dealer the other day, and he told me that there were a few S2Ks seized at Atlanta Motor Speedway. Supposedly it was at a meet between NSXs and S2Ks. He suggested that the seizures were due to sustained lateral Gs. He only saw the one car that was brought to him for reconstruction. I think he said #3 seized. BTW, Honda covered it under warranty.

Makes me wonder two things: why would you run an S2K on an oval in the first place, and does the oil pan baffle work on a road course? The S2K is more of a Road Atlanta type car.

Quick Reply: How does an "performance" oil pan help?