S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

how do you test engine condition?

Old 03-24-2006, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up how do you test engine condition?

I've decided to keep the S, and possibly add a supercharger. Before I do anything I would like to test the engine to see how strong it's running. When I warm up the car in the morning, I hear some ticking coming out of the engine. It's probably normal since it's warming up, but I'm getting paranoid.

I know I can run a compression test, but what other tests can be performed?

Another question: What is supposed to happen if you're in third gear at about 4-5K, and you suddenly slam on the gas pedal. Is it normal for the car to stutter, or in other words a slight hesitation before continuing to rev up.

note: it's only got 21K miles.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:22 AM

Compression, leakdown, and dyno test. You can do analysis of the engine oil if you are racer serious, but the 1st three and a hard test drive tell you about as much about an engine as you can know. By the way, there is no real definite manner of truly finding out an engines explicit condition; all of the above just point you in the right direction.

Ticking isn't a big deal, especially on a new low mileage vehicle. Make sure you are using the right oil/weight for your application.

As for your stutter question, if you are slowly accelerating and then go WOT, it shouldn't stutter. Probably the same case if you are holding the rpms steady. If you are at 4-5k with your foot off the gas, then go WOT, it will stutter just like any other manual transmission car ever produced.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:40 AM

bro not to get you all freak out but I had the same problem with my engine, right before the Vtec kicks it was like hesitating i'll hit the gas and you will hear like chocking or some air not flowing, please check that you don't have water on your engine (if you have a CAI) I just blew my engine and it was because my car suck water I have a AEM V2, a way you can c if you got water is to remove the valve cover take the ignition wires, then remove the sparks plugs, try to start your engine so it can get rid off the water if any just hold the start button (the car won't start), maintained for 30 sec or more if needed. Maybe yours is different but at least look into it, it's better than buying a new engine, my car had 48k and a recent oil change and just like that it blew up!
JC

Old 03-24-2006, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by sahtt,Mar 24 2006, 09:22 AM
Compression, leakdown, and dyno test. You can do analysis of the engine oil if you are racer serious, but the 1st three and a hard test drive tell you about as much about an engine as you can know. By the way, there is no real definite manner of truly finding out an engines explicit condition; all of the above just point you in the right direction.

Ticking isn't a big deal, especially on a new low mileage vehicle. Make sure you are using the right oil/weight for your application.

As for your stutter question, if you are slowly accelerating and then go WOT, it shouldn't stutter. Probably the same case if you are holding the rpms steady. If you are at 4-5k with your foot off the gas, then go WOT, it will stutter just like any other manual transmission car ever produced.
Yeah it only stutters if I was off the throttle, then go WOT.

I was mostly worried about the ticking, becuase I thought it could be a valve. I'm sure I've done a few hard downshifts.

Whats a "leak down" test?

Which one is most indictive of engine condition?