S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

How do you snap together the roll bar plastics?

Old 07-26-2009, 05:07 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The wire through them is an element that is used to seal them together. They run a current through it, it heats up and welds the two piece together. They are not meant to be separated.

That said, mine were separated and I removed the wired and cleaned up the matching faces and successfully glued them back together.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:26 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AusS2000,Jul 26 2009, 08:07 PM
The wire through them is an element that is used to seal them together. They run a current through it, it heats up and welds the two piece together. They are not meant to be separated.

That said, mine were separated and I removed the wired and cleaned up the matching faces and successfully glued them back together.

My drivers side was separated and the wife put them back together with super glue, took her about a minuet they look fine and have been back together for about 6 months now
My wife (The PuddyMom) is a super glue nut, she fixes everything with super glue
Old 07-26-2009, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have experience with split covers, but from what it sounds like (and photos from previous old threads) they are splitting because of flex from driving is putting too much stress on the joint due to lack of surface area bonded by glue/adhesive.

What you need to do is to increase the bonded surface to combat stress load. After gluing, use fiberglass strips (maybe 1" wide?) and resin to strengthen the joint by applying it over the entire glued area from inside. Might be a little hard because of their shape but with a little bit of thinking should be doable.

Make sure you scuff the inside surface with sandpaper so they will bond better.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:43 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by chilicoke,Jul 27 2009, 11:31 AM
I don't have experience with split covers, but from what it sounds like (and photos from previous old threads) they are splitting because of flex from driving is putting too much stress on the joint due to lack of surface area bonded by glue/adhesive.
I think they are splitting because people are splitting them under the mistaken impression that they are meant to be separated during disassembly.

As for lining the inside with fibreglass, if you can do that you're a whole lot more capable than me.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:06 PM

I am aware of that, sorry I meant to say splitting after gluing.

Without taking a look in person, maybe wet both covers' inside lips with resin, apply FG strip to one side half exposed, place a deflated tube-type balloon behind it and a sheet of plastic film in between to separate the two from touching each other. Carefully place the other cover on top of the first and over the FG strip, zip tie the two covers together to position and inflate the balloon that's already inside the covers. This will push the FG strip against the already-resined inside lips of both covers, wait 24 hours, cut the zip ties off, and pull the film/balloon out.

Just thinking out loud, probably more work than it's worth.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:45 AM

i had the same problem... so i made an spod to press the roll hoop covers together and at the same time i get better sound lol... worked for me...
Old 07-27-2009, 01:58 PM

so when you buy new ones. it comes with a new roll bar and plastic covers?
Old 07-27-2009, 03:40 PM

^Cuz you cant remove the plastic FROM the roll bar - the whole problem If the plastic wasnt circular, and it was more upsidedown horseshoe shaped (doesnt clamp on the inside, like a slip on case), you would be able to possibly remove the plastic first, but since it 'seals around' the bar you cant possibly take off the plastic trim from the roll bar without cracking it open first.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:26 PM

so why are people opening up the plastic for?
Old 07-27-2009, 06:28 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Because they think that is how you remove the roll hoop, and it's not.

Quick Reply: How do you snap together the roll bar plastics?