S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

How do i fit a new wheelbolt?

Old 12-07-2006, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do i fit a new wheelbolt?

Hi

Ok lets hope that somebody in here understand my english and what i mean.

When i was putting new tires on the other day i accidently broke on of the wheel bolts (the bolts holding the rims ) , no problems with that, i went and got a new one, got the brakes out of my way, got the old bolt out, but who do i put in the new one????
Cause behind the plate where the bolts are mounted its another round thing and i cant get it in pieces.
Dont wanna force the bolt in a bit sideways, if i do i will ruin the thread.

Like i said, hope that someone understands me, i can get pics, and im better on english when reading it than writing it
Old 12-07-2006, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u might have to pull the hub assembly apart. there is not enough room to fit one from the back.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:54 AM
Ek9
Banned

You probably need to pull the hub off. Which means you should probably replace the wheel bearing at the same time. If you can't find some clearance to put the bolt throught the hole, it probably needs to come apart.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by s2k dre,Dec 7 2006, 11:53 AM
u might have to pull the hub assembly apart. there is not enough room to fit one from the back.
I figured that out, but how do i pull the hub assembly apart?

Anyone know if theres any "how to" with some great pics and so on around here?
Old 12-07-2006, 12:13 PM
Ek9
Banned

It's in the shop manual. You either use the special tools that many garages have or you need a press to press the hubs out of the bearings.
Without special tools, the spindle needs to come off the car so, you can fit the whole thing into a press.

Honda says replace the bearings every time you pull out the hubs. If I was doing this job, I'd get ARP studs and replace all 4. Once you do this job, you never want to do it again. Procedure starts at page 18-11 in the shop manual.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:30 PM

Link removed

If you want to buy you very own copy of the service manual, look at www.helminc.com
Old 12-07-2006, 01:48 PM
Ek9
Banned

Not that downloading it is illegal or anything... (which it is).
Old 12-07-2006, 02:13 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

The Helm service manual is copyright protected and illegal to duplicate or download.

To remove the hub, the knuckle must be removed from the car and pressed out from the back side. This separates the wheel bearing, which is designed to be a sealed bearing. The inner race must be cut off the hub, or removed by using a torch to heat the race slowly while turning the hub in a drill press. The studs press in from the back side of the hub. the wheel bearing must be removed after the snap ring behind the hub is removed.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:34 PM

You can actually pull a new one through the back without disassembling the hub. We do this all of the time at the dealership. When you get the old one out push the new one through the back, put a lugnut on it and pull it through then, clean the threads up when you get it in.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by supertrogdor,Dec 7 2006, 07:34 PM
You can actually pull a new one through the back without disassembling the hub. We do this all of the time at the dealership. When you get the old one out push the new one through the back, put a lugnut on it and pull it through then, clean the threads up when you get it in.
You Will not do this on the S , The hub is too close to the stud. Trust me I know. You will need to disassemble as the previous posts indicate . You will also most likley need a new wheel bearing as they may damage it when pressing ithe hub apart.

Quick Reply: How do i fit a new wheelbolt?