S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

How is displacement is increased in F22c1?

Old 06-20-2013, 10:43 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Oh wait.....

Old 06-21-2013, 12:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SpitfireS
About your area example:
What if the yard has a 5 meter diameter dome, that's 2 meters high, in the middle?
Or a deep puddle?
It would not be so irrelevant to ask "Is your yard flat?" before answering.
I don't know if I would have asked that question to be honest, but if someone pointed out it's not always as simple as 1-2-3 I would have appriciated it.

I considered that one as well (difference between the surface area and projected area) but I felt one example was enough and I had already written one and that was enough. We could also add talk about relativistic length contraction and reference frames to say that the area of the yard depends upon where you are.

I guess the point you're missing is that mean piston speed is that simple. It's not complicated. It doesn't have anything to do with instantaneous piston speed. If you wanted, you could integrate the piston velocity equations (which is a silly exercise because it just brings you back to the displacement equations which were used to derive the velocity equations) to find the mean value. You'd get the same formula for mean piston speed.

I chose obfuscation instead of "confusing" because there is a big difference between the two.
Obfuscation (or beclouding) is the hiding of intended meaning in communication, making communication confusing, wilfully ambiguous, and harder to interpret.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:26 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dwight
I guess the point you're missing is that mean piston speed is that simple. It's not complicated. It doesn't have anything to do with instantaneous piston speed.
Where did I state main piston speed is not simple?
When I posted - my first post in this thread - the link to the Wiki page I said (quoting myself..) "There is main piston speed AND there is true piston speed", followed by the link.
As in: in addition to.
Main piston speed is what it is, but it doesn't show / give you the full picture when it comes to piston speed during a stroke, there is more.

Why is it wrong to add (what I still think is relevant(*)) info?
Why do we have to shield the average s2ki reader from stuff they - according to you - don't want, and don't understand?
How do you know "they" don't want - or understand - it?
(*) - we're talking about pistons and cranks, there's a third peice of metal involved: a connecting rod.

I chose obfuscation instead of "confusing" because there is a big difference between the two.
Obfuscation (or beclouding) is the hiding of intended meaning in communication, making communication confusing, wilfully ambiguous, and harder to interpret.
Based on your interpretation of my first post.
And all I did there was saying: there is A (and I did not challenge it) and there is B (follow link to see what I mean)

Nevertheless: nice discussion
(NOT saying this is the end of it.. haha!)