S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

How is displacement is increased in F22c1?

Old 06-17-2013, 08:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kreeper
Originally Posted by vtec9' timestamp='1371477352' post='22613121
more stroke => fewer RPMs. But IIRC, the F22C actually has a higher piston speed at redline than F20C due to further distance traveled per rotation.
F22C at it's 8200 redline has slower piston speed than the F20 at 9k. Basically they were safer when they made the f22. The point at which both max piston speeds are the same is around 8500, which is why some raise the redline to there. Some others are even more ballsy and raise to 9k, but I do not recommend this unless you have more engine work to reduce that mass. The rest of the engine can handle it, as it's better than the f20. There's a video out there discussing it with the honda engineers and tsuchiya, but I'm too lazy to find it .
It's 8375 rpm where they match engine speed.

Old engine speed * old stroke = new engine speed * new stroke

A little algebra and substitution gives us:
9000 rpm * (84.4 mm)/(90.7 mm) = 8375 rpm
Old 06-17-2013, 10:56 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

There is main - or average - piston speed.
And then there is real / true / whateveryouliketocallit - piston speed.
http://en.wikipedia....otion_equations
Rod length plays a role too, is there a difference between F20 and F22 rods? (I guess so)
Lots of formula's on that Wiki page, as far as I could see no easy, fill in stroke, rod lenght and rpm to give you speed formula, or graph.

The oil burning issues were solved for the F20 and F22 by honing with a dummy head.
So later MY F20's burn as much oil as F22's = 1 "advantage" gone.
(yes, Honda sold F20's till the end in - for example - Europe)

Honda used the other type retainers also in the F20, my MY05 F20 has them and as far as I know it was an untouched engine.
The original F20 retainers only get damaged if you treat them wrong, to call this an engine error is.... well...
Many will state their original F20 retainers, even at 9k-all-day-without-an-overrev, are still fine.
Later model F20's with "better" OEM installed retainers = 1 "advantage" gone.

To call the whole valve train superior because of the retainers is... well...

How many advantages left?

Yes, the debate is endless, especially if you (one) uses the wrong kind of arguments to support your (one's) claim.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SpitfireS
Rod length plays a role too, is there a difference between F20 and F22 rods? (I guess so)
Lots of formula's on that Wiki page, as far as I could see no easy, fill in stroke, rod lenght and rpm to give you speed formula, or graph.

The oil burning issues were solved for the F20 and F22 by honing with a dummy head.
So later MY F20's burn as much oil as F22's = 1 "advantage" gone.
(yes, Honda sold F20's till the end in - for example - Europe)

Honda used the other type retainers also in the F20, my MY05 F20 has them and as far as I know it was an untouched engine.
The original F20 retainers only get damaged if you treat them wrong, to call this an engine error is.... well...
Many will state their original F20 retainers, even at 9k-all-day-without-an-overrev, are still fine.
Later model F20's with "better" OEM installed retainers = 1 "advantage" gone.

To call the whole valve train superior because of the retainers is... well...

How many advantages left?

Yes, the debate is endless, especially if you (one) uses the wrong kind of arguments to support your (one's) claim.

Exactly my thoughts! All of those revisions mentioned were in the MY04+ F20c which we have in Europe.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:03 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^
Old 06-18-2013, 04:47 PM

Given that we were talking about only stroke and engine speed, and that it's the only one commonly talked about, I thought it was safe to assume that you would have realized that we were talking about mean piston speed whenever we said "piston speed" and therefore you wouldn't have felt the need to try to make something simple into something confusing.

Apparently I was wrong.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:36 PM

@ dwight: I was simply - without any hidden agenda or any point to prove - adding (what I assumed was) usefull info to the thread.
I hoped that my post - or better: the link to the Wiki page - showed the true - from degree to degree or mathematically constantly changing - piston speed (and accelleration!) is slightly more complex than stroke and rpm - with an indefinitely long connecting rod it IS.. actually.
Allthough one could think adding the link was done to prove a point, but I didn't argue earlier that it was not that simple or stated someone was wrong, if you know what I mean.

More - even if its complex - info = always better, IMO.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:24 AM

Not when it obfuscates the topic and discourages the reader from trying to understand the topic.

A lot of people don't understand mean piston speed. The math required to understand this isn't even basic algebra. It's just substitution and multiplication. This something that a middle school student can do.

Then, out of nowhere, you come in and start talking about something different, although tangentially related, which turns it into a dynamics problem which is typically taught as a sophomore level college problem. This can leave a reader with the impression that it's much more complicated and actually serve to discourage them from trying to understand the topic.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:48 AM

Ohhh... okay.. so I should have preceded my post with a warning: "difficult stuff ahead.. beware!"

I think you're overdoing it... a little.. maybe.... and maybe you should have a bit more confidence in the average s2ki reader.

Lets make it simple: (and NOT for you so don't get offended.. again... allthough you could get offended by me saying its not for you.. oh well..)

Suppose you have to travel a certain - fixed - distance within a speed limit.
When you start you pass a detection port, setting your timer at 0.
At the end of the distance you pass another detection port which stops your timer.
(how this detection works is - for now - irrelevant, be sure there can be no mix-up between participants)
As soon as the time is known, the average speed is known because the distance is known, this is (should be) pretty simple to understand.
A computer calculates your average speed and decides if you should receive a speeding ticket.
How could the computer tell if you stopped somewhere for x time and have driven way above the speed limit to compensate for lost time?
It can't when it just looks at the end and the beginning.

That is exactly what you're doing with main / average piston speed.
In half a crank turn you travel the stroke distance, rpm and stroke are given so one's able to find the outcome with some (basic) math.
What happens in between is not in this equation.

But stuff DOES happen in between, that's a fact.
Hiding from the facts is not my thing, even if they are hard to understand.
I'm not claiming to fully understand all the formula's given on the Wiki page but I can see the constanly changing triangle creating complex motions.

So I can live with knowing I don't fully know.
Can you, do you allow others to do so or do you want to hide anything more complex than taking a dump from them...?
(apologies for the excremental references..)
What I do know is that main piston speed is just an average and not the complete picture and there is - way - more to it.
People that would like to take a look at the Wiki page are free to do so, and people are free to look and click it away within a blink of an eye too.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:51 PM

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Sorry, but I have to agree with Dwight on this one.

The maximum piston speed is attained precisely when the piston is half way between TDC and BDC. At that point, the piston is traveling at the same speed as the rod bearing.

At 9000 rpm, the rod bearing is traveling at Π * D * 9000, where D is the crank diameter, which is the same as the piston stroke.

On the F20C, D = 84.4mm, and on the F22C, D = 90.7mm

Therefore, to calculate when the rod bearing speeds are equivalent, you use the equation:

Π * D[sub]f20c[/sub]*9000=Π * D[sub]f22c[/sub] * rpm[sub]f22c[/sub]

or

rpm[sub]f22c[/sub]= (Π * D[sub]f20c[/sub]*9000) / Π * D[sub]f22c[/sub]

remove Π from both the denominator and numerator, that leaves you with:

rpm[sub]f22c[/sub]= (84.4mm * 9000rpm) / 90.7mm, or 8375 RPM.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:07 PM

Lets make it simple: (and NOT for you so don't get offended.. again... allthough you could get offended by me saying its not for you.. oh well..)
That is exactly what you're doing with main / average piston speed.
But stuff DOES happen in between, that's a fact.
I've been on the internet for far too long to get offended by anything you say. Overall, I'd like to believe that you have good intentions. I just disagree with your approach.

You don't need to explain average/mean to me. By the way if you want something with more detail you can read up on the mean value theorem.

That stuff doesn't matter. If one want to get into more detail for the sake of getting into detail, it's easy to lose sight of the problem/question. This all started when I responded to a post where two people didn't know what RPM provided the same mean piston speed. I tried to show them that it's really easy for them to calculate this themselves.

Quick Reply: How is displacement is increased in F22c1?