S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

how dangerous is it to work on the car on jack stn

Old 04-21-2010, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol..i once posted a thread on a toyota forum asking where the jack points are on an 8th gen corolla...a whole bunch of people told me to go to a mechanic because it's not safe to work on a car on jackstands...i just laughed...
Old 04-21-2010, 10:21 AM

I put two jacks on both sides and jack them up inch by inch on both sides so the car stays even.Then i put the jack stands underneath the car and keep the jacks just as extra support.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was under my friend's G35 when that last earthquake happened in So Cal. Jackstands are fine.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:22 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo_slug,Apr 21 2010, 09:45 AM
lol..i once posted a thread on a toyota forum asking where the jack points are on an 8th gen corolla...a whole bunch of people told me to go to a mechanic because it's not safe to work on a car on jackstands...i just laughed...
Putting something under the rockers is a reasonable and simple safety measure.

Again, you don't do it because the car is LIKELY to come of the jackstands, you do it because it MIGHT.

Even if the risk is very low, the result of an incident happening is so severe (death is totally possible) that it STILL makes sense to take precautions.

Cars DO end up crushing people.

If you work on cars a lot, you take precautions because of your increased exposure to the risk, even though you may be an EXPERT at putting a car on jackstands.

If you do NOT work on cars a lot, obviously you're not as likely to have it set up as well, so even though it may be a one-time job, again it's well worth throwing something under the rockers to suppport the car in the event of an incident.

People who work on cars at the track all the time always put wheels under the rockers, it is GOOD PRACTICE.

One more time, IT IS NOT BECAUSE JACKSTANDS OR FLOORJACKS ARE NECESSARILY INHERENTLY UNSAFE. It's because if something DOES happen to happen, even though the chance may be small, the results are often catastrophic.

It DOES HAPPEN.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:42 AM

your neighbor is an idiot. Period
Old 04-21-2010, 11:45 AM

Received 1,377 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Tell you're neighbor what I tell mine when I'm doing something dangerous that they object to: "I'm too tough to die".
Old 04-21-2010, 12:28 PM

[QUOTE=ZDan,Apr 21 2010, 11:22 AM] Putting something under the rockers is a reasonable and simple safety measure.

Again, you don't do it because the car is LIKELY to come of the jackstands, you do it because it MIGHT.

Even if the risk is very low, the result of an incident happening is so severe (death is totally possible) that it STILL makes sense to take precautions.

Cars DO end up crushing people.

If you work on cars a lot, you take precautions because of your increased exposure to the risk, even though you may be an EXPERT at putting a car on jackstands.

If you do NOT work on cars a lot, obviously you're not as likely to have it set up as well, so even though it may be a one-time job, again it's well worth throwing something under the rockers to suppport the car in the event of an incident.

People who work on cars at the track all the time always put wheels under the rockers, it is GOOD PRACTICE.

One more time, IT IS NOT BECAUSE JACKSTANDS OR FLOORJACKS ARE NECESSARILY INHERENTLY UNSAFE.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by turbo_slug,Apr 21 2010, 12:28 PM
i was just saying that those corolla hippies basically told me to never work on the car because they think it's unsafe to raise it off of the ground
Only if there is a major earthquake
Old 05-02-2010, 12:07 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Sad to report that one of our own lost his life from car coming off jackstands.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=785922

It can happen, it *does* happen. It is good practice to put something under the rockers when you are working underneath a car on a floorjack or jackstands.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slows2k,Apr 20 2010, 07:09 PM
A 4 post lift is no safer than jackstands. They are supporting the car from the same points. If the car falls from 6 feet or 2 feet you are still dead.
this.

Quick Reply: how dangerous is it to work on the car on jack stn