S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

how to create a custom turbo kit

Old 01-11-2004, 10:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how to create a custom turbo kit

after my bad deal with getting the comptech supercharger kit i decided to go turbo.
i am asking all the turbo s2000 people to help me out here.
here's the list. and heres what i have or will get
EMS AEM EMS
Intercooler with intercooler piping spearco with custom piping
oil cooler with oil relocation kit xs engineering or greddy?
fuel pump i dont know what kind yet
injectors ultimate racing 440cc
fuel rail?
turbo manifold custom
turbo Garrett GT30
vacuum hoses and lil stuff etc etc
downpipe Custom 2.5 in
wastegate i dont know what kind
and blow off valve.. whats good?
im not trying to get a lot of hp or anything. just 280-300 would be nice anything over is unnecessary.
advice will be appreciated
is there anything else im missing?
Old 01-11-2004, 10:37 PM
Former Moderator

Dont know a lot about turbo's but do know some things....keep your piping 3" all around (exaust, straightpipe, downpipe, etc)

Flow is a lot better.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

comptech fuel pump (which is walbro)
stage6motorsports oil filter relocator
You don't need a fuel rail
1:1 fuel pressure regulator either aem or aeromotive (aem will install in stock location)
boost gauge
boost controller
tial 38mm wastegate ( I used a 0.3 bar spring in the waste gate which is about 4.5psi)
tial 50mm BOV
If i still had my autocad drawing for my intercooler i would give it to you but lost it about year ago
ORDER EMS first before proceeding with anything. It is essential for making the car run well. Also, locate someone who can install, setup, and tune the ems before you start anything.
Fittings will be a biatch to locate and find the right ones.
Figure out how and whom you will have to tap the oil pan for the return line from turbo.
Use bolts included with wastegate or bolts that are grade 10, I learned that grade 8 bolts will shear off when they get hot and stressed from the manifold.
I have 2.5 inch down pipe, deleted cat, and stock exhaust as of now. The car is quite until the wastegate dumps to atmosphere via dump tube.
I'm making 270 as of now with stock exhaust system on a mustang dyno. Anything else burns the clutch and tires.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:21 AM

KYS2000 is right you won't need a new fuel rail. But I would highly recommend buying an Ultimate Racing or Stage6 kit. I don't know the depth of your turbo knowledge, but your goals lead me to believe that a custom kit is not the right route to take.

I would only recommend a custom kit if you are intending to go for huge HP numbers. Both of the kits on the market now will yield the kind of power you are looking for and will have an experienced shop backing up the product if you have problems. Ultimate Racing has a very good customer service reputation. I would recommend getting their kit with the 3" exhaust, use an AEM EMS, and hire a good tuner.

The bigger injectors are a must. I am using a Speedcraft turbo kit and plan on upgrading my injectors within the next month. The injectors are what makes the Ultimate Racing kit more attractive than the Stage6 (which is the exact same kit as Speedcraft). I have an AEM EMS and it works wonderfully.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:10 AM

Look to spend no less than 5k before labor thats including EMS if you go custom route. You end up saving about a grand doing custom but the car will be down for A LOT longer and you will have to wait for all the parts to come in which can take months.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know what the stock fuel pump is rated at?
mikecl713,
I don't think for 300RRWHP you would even need an upgraded pump.
Beroz
Old 01-12-2004, 10:50 AM

you dont need to get a new fuel pump for 300rwhp or even 320rwhp.
Since you're going with very minimal boost, consider a small sized turbo so it'll spool up very quickly and be more efficient.

Dont go with 3" pipine for the intake and intercooler. It's just way too much bigger than the throttle body and you'll get turbulence. I think 2.5" is the size for all your intake plumbing.

Tial wastegate and blow-off.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:04 AM

for anything more that 300rwhp, you will need a 255lph fuel pump. Walbro makes the unit (I forgot the model number, but I will check) . We have had one member on this board (hobbyholic) that blew their motor because of the fuel pump at 320rwhp. Its better to be safe than sorry for the additional 200 dollars. 3 inch exhaust is perferred but too much for intercooler piping, tial wategate and bov is the way to go. Spend time and $$ on your manifold ($1500)and computer ($1100), the other stuff you have listed looks good. BTW, for 280-300 whp, why dont you go with a supercharger..it makes a bit more sense since your numbers are conservative.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. I'm not sure that you can conclude Alex blew his engine as a result of the stock pump being saturated. If we can figure out what the stock pump is rated at then we can pretty much determine what the max flow rate is.....
2. UR dynoed the car at ~290 RWHP. this was done with a 2.5" exhaust. .......
3. 440 CC injector should be just right for 300 RWHP....
4. Anything above 300RWHP you should upgrade your pump injectors, and go with a 3" exhaust......
my $0.02
Beroz
Old 01-12-2004, 01:42 PM

i was doing a front mount intercooler with the supercharger.
since i have aem ems and the intercooler i decided it would be cheaper and also easier for me to get the parts in pieces then in getting the supercharger kit which varies from 4400-5000.
is the garrett GT30 a good turbo or is there something better for throttle response and spool up times.
i got a deal for a manifold which is the 500 hp s2k design.

Quick Reply: how to create a custom turbo kit