S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

How to cover somthing in Carbon fiber

Old 04-21-2005, 04:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up How to cover somthing in Carbon fiber

I am making a custom intake system using mandrel bent aluminum piping and a Mugen replacement filter that
Old 04-21-2005, 11:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you do like a google search on "how to lay carbon fiber" or something it will come up. you can chose the different kinds of weave and resin you want to use.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:19 AM

Yep did that however it seems that there is a large selection of different resins to use. I was looking for experiences with the different types to make sure I only need to do this once.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:44 PM

If you have experience with fiberglass then I would try it out. I've never tried laying carbon fiber after I saw that laying fiberglass was a total PITA to get it to look the way I wanted it to when I tried making a custom sub enclosure back in the day. How much do the materials cost for the CF?
Old 04-25-2005, 03:16 AM

Check out the link below.

Link to carbon fiber products

They have a carbon fiber weave that comes in a tube like state.
Remember Chinese finger toys. This is how the tube will react to stretching the length / shortening the length which should work out good with the prototype intake.
Should this prove cost effect I may offer the air box up to a total intake system to the s2ki forum.

The prototype conical air box alone is going to cost $200 for the billet aluminum and $600 labor for the initial programming phase for the C and C machine.

Then the Carbon fiber is going to cost some where around $100. I was planning on making the carbon fiber lay up an option. You can always paint the intake or just leave it brushed aluminum.

The current prototype is being designed to work with a spoon or spoon knock off snorkel.

The way the air box is being built you can weld in any intake tube you want with an outer diameter of 3 inches to the inlet and outlet. That way the air box can be customized based on the application.

This air box will have a venture plate in the inlet and outlet sides of the air box to ensure steady (laminar) air flow over the total surface of the air filter.

This air box will only work with the Mugen replacement air filter for their carbon fiber intake.
Unlike the Mugen with has the scoop forcing air over one side of the filter and them making an abrupt 90deg turn this air box will have axial flow over the total surface are of the filter.