S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

How to clean MAP? (used search ;P)

Old 02-11-2010, 05:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How to clean MAP? (used search ;P)

Before people go OMG SEARCH BUTTON please, this post is slightly different.

I'm new to the whole DIY thing, but am really looking forward to doing as much as I can by myself. I'm having some low rpm bog / occasional first gear stutter/shake. From doing research, I've heard that a common fix to a problem like this is the map whack / reset ecu. After reading a ton of things, I've read that using honda brake cleaner is the most efficient to clear carbon buildup.

here's my question; how should I go about cleaning it. Do I apply it with a say a qtip? Do i just run it straight through? And am I only cleaning the sensor itself? Sorry for the noob questions, I've tried to research a non-cliffnote version of actually cleaning the map, but a majority of my reads have simply been on the whack.

thanks

edit: while letting it dry, should I just let it air dry? with brake cleaner would it be best to air dry, or would using a heat source be safe? (I'm just not sure how brake cleaner reacts to heat).

Appreciate it guys, like I said I know it's a bit of a noob question. I just don't want to #### something up.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:51 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

here's a link of how to remove the MAP sensor---you clean it by squirting brake cleaner (or carb cleaner) up inside the little black "tube" that sticks out the bottom and also squirt some into the "hole" on the throttle body where the MAP sensor goes into--this second part cleans the actual air passages that the MAP sensor "reads" the air thru.
I wouldn't use any heat--the cleaner evaporates very quickly when it's exposed to air--it should dry in a minute or two

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?act=S...0#entry12038827

While you're doing the MAP, go ahead and clean the IAC Valve (Idle Air Control) as well---it's a key part in how smoothly the car idles and when I cleaned mine, it made a big difference. it's near the MAP sensor and will only add another 10 minutes or so to the job but well worth it.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry10624891

Also check out the "Sticky" at the top of this forum entitiled "FAQs, DIY, and Maintanance"--- it is a wealth of info on how to take care of your S2k
Old 02-11-2010, 07:00 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Concentrate on cleaning the pathway that feeds the MAP sensor, not the map sensor itself. Its more than likely fine. Clean the entire throttle body while you're at it. You'll be surprised by how much gunk comes out of it
Old 02-11-2010, 07:18 AM

Using brake cleaner to clean all said parts?
Old 02-11-2010, 07:22 AM

yes (or carb cleaner)
both seem to me to work about the same on dirt and carbon buildup--the "non-clorinated" brake cleaner is the one you want--it's safer for plastics and rubber----any auto parts store should have both--only the "non-clorinated" will tout the fact it's safe for plastic.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:22 AM

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,545 Posts

electronic parts cleaner is also a good idea if you are spraying the MAP itself while other cleaners are good for the port leading to the MAP. Don't use any cleaner that has a lubricant quality to it, that could mess things up.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by JFUSION,Feb 11 2010, 11:22 AM
electronic parts cleaner is also a good idea if you are spraying the MAP itself while other cleaners are good for the port leading to the MAP. Don't use any cleaner that has a lubricant quality to it, that could mess things up.
good recommendations!!
Old 02-11-2010, 07:40 AM

Appreciate the help guys! Searching didn't pull up much about cleaning the map. Really appreciate it
Old 02-11-2010, 07:43 AM

let us know how it goes and whether it made any improvement
Old 02-11-2010, 10:54 AM

Thanks jetboater appreciate the help.

One last question semi-related. Just to clarify when doing a ecu reset (i read the thread, but I wanna clarify the wording).

Key in but in completely off position. Remove 7.5 backup. Smoke a stoge/Drink a beer/Visit the bathroom. Insert 7.5 backup again. Turn off all possible accessories. Turn car on, idle 5 minutes (to complete warmup). Then have some fun? :]

just wanna make sure I have that right

I'm going to have a field day. Waiting for my exhaust / cat. While I'm under there gonna do the cdv fix, clean the iac / map , and some fluid changes. Gonna be a fun day

Quick Reply: How to clean MAP? (used search ;P)