S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Hot Start Issue, please help, need to smog soon and need to know what to fix

Old 09-27-2012, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot Start Issue, please help, need to smog soon and need to know what to fix

Hey all this is my first post on this form, so hopefully you can help!

So I have a 2002 S2000, with about 90K miles on it.

I have a hot start issue as the title says. When I drive my car around for a bit, and I turn off the engine, it fails to start up a lot of the time (been happening more and more often), specifically when it's hot out. Now if I wait about 10-15 mins, I can get it to start, put I do have to put down the gas.

My mechanic things it's the fuel pump, which it could be (as of the past couple of days I've been hearing a little gargling).

I've also read that it could be the main relay on some other sites (reddit).

Have any of you had this problem as I'm describing, and if so, what was the problem, and how much did it cost you to fix?

I have to get the car snogged by December 1st, so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 09-27-2012, 08:37 PM

Anybody?
Old 09-28-2012, 04:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the car overheating? Any issues at all while driving?
Old 09-28-2012, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by 4forall
Is the car overheating? Any issues at all while driving?
No overheating problems what-so-ever. This is the only issue I've had with the car over the two yeas I've owned it...
Old 09-28-2012, 08:06 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Could also be a failing Fuel Pressure Regulator. A dummy test you can do to see if the diaphragm is leaking is to pull the vent line off the pressure regulator and crank the engine over. If liquid gas comes out that vent line you know the FPR is bad.

I've never had this issue on an S2000, but same thing happened on my Cavalier years ago and this is what it ended up being.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by jordanksartell
Could also be a failing Fuel Pressure Regulator. A dummy test you can do to see if the diaphragm is leaking is to pull the vent line off the pressure regulator and crank the engine over. If liquid gas comes out that vent line you know the FPR is bad.

I've never had this issue on an S2000, but same thing happened on my Cavalier years ago and this is what it ended up being.
Sorry I'm somewhat of a noob, so didn't quit understand that...could you explain step by step, or point me in the right direction (along with explaining what that is actually doing...)

Thanks!
Old 09-28-2012, 08:12 AM

Locate FPR on your fuel rail. There will be a small diameter vent line coming off the top of it going into your intake manifold. Pull the line off the FPR and try and start the engine. If liquid gas comes out that line/port, your FPR is bad. (The diaphragm is torn) If no gas comes out then it's good (it's supposed to only allow fuel vapors into the intake manifold, but when they go bad, liquid gas will go past the diaphragm)
Old 09-28-2012, 08:14 AM

Locate FPR on your fuel rail. There will be a small diameter vent line coming off the top of it going into your intake manifold. Pull the line off the FPR and try and start the engine. If liquid gas comes out that line/port, your FPR is bad. (The diaphragm is torn) If no gas comes out then it's good (it's supposed to only allow fuel vapors into the intake manifold, but when they go bad, liquid gas will go past the diaphragm)
OK...I'll see if I can do this...haven't worked on cars since I was 16 and had an RX7...
Old 09-28-2012, 08:14 AM

This is the FPR. Pull off the small diameter vent line from the top. NOT the larger diameter fuel feed line from the bottom.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:23 AM

This is the FPR. Pull off the small diameter vent line from the top. NOT the larger diameter fuel feed line from the bottom.

Where is it located in the engine bay?

Quick Reply: Hot Start Issue, please help, need to smog soon and need to know what to fix