S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

hot air coming through vents with heat turned OFF

Old 05-02-2011, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lowerlattitudes
Okay...

Has anyone with the "hot air coming out with the selector set on cool" issue tried adjusting the temp knob into the hot range from the cold range during cool weather vs warm weather and observed the difference?

During warming weather, you are simply NOT going to get cool air out of the ducts without employing the a/c compressor. The air-intake for the cabin climate control system sits under a plastic guard just beneath the rear of the hood and right behind the back of a nice toasty engine and exhaust header. Warm air is going to wash over that thing constantly once the engine warms up.

If you can get REALLY hot air coming out of your vents in warmer weather when your temp selector is set on hot and then only 'warm' air when it is set on cool, then I would say your system is operating normally....

Very few modern cars will deliver very cool air w/o employing the a/c compressor because they all utilize a very similar fresh air induction system.

Nothing to see here folks....
Not sure about the others but your description doesn't match my scenario. When it was freezing temperature outside I could set the temp setting to Max Cool (NO A/C - i.e. straight vent using cold outside air) and the vents would blow heated air instead - if adjusted temp control to add heat, it would just get hotter. I've had the car since new in '06 and this observation is a clear a departure from normal operation.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by F1SpeedTrap
Originally Posted by lowerlattitudes' timestamp='1304384059' post='20530933
Okay...

Has anyone with the "hot air coming out with the selector set on cool" issue tried adjusting the temp knob into the hot range from the cold range during cool weather vs warm weather and observed the difference?

During warming weather, you are simply NOT going to get cool air out of the ducts without employing the a/c compressor. The air-intake for the cabin climate control system sits under a plastic guard just beneath the rear of the hood and right behind the back of a nice toasty engine and exhaust header. Warm air is going to wash over that thing constantly once the engine warms up.

If you can get REALLY hot air coming out of your vents in warmer weather when your temp selector is set on hot and then only 'warm' air when it is set on cool, then I would say your system is operating normally....

Very few modern cars will deliver very cool air w/o employing the a/c compressor because they all utilize a very similar fresh air induction system.

Nothing to see here folks....
Not sure about the others but your description doesn't match my scenario. When it was freezing temperature outside I could set the temp setting to Max Cool (NO A/C - i.e. straight vent using cold outside air) and the vents would blow heated air instead - if adjusted temp control to add heat, it would just get hotter. I've had the car since new in '06 and this observation is a clear a departure from normal operation.
I thought lowerlattitude answered your question with this post, but maybe I'm missing something. Did your car previously blow cool air without the A/C on, and now it doesn't?

My experience with my s2k agrees with what lowerlattitude said -- even when I have the temperature dial set to the 'coldest' setting with no A/C, the air coming out of the vents is never cold, even when the outside air temperature is. I believe this is for the reasons lowerlattitude mentions (basically, because the fresh air inlet is near the base of the windshield on the passenger side and is drawing in air that is above ambient temperature due to engine bay heat). I frequently use the recirculate button to prevent hot air from blowing on me while driving, as I'll get warm air streaming out of the vents even with the fan completely off. Once I turn on recirculate, the air stops coming out of the vents immediately.

Short version -- your car sounds fine to me But maybe I'm not completely understanding your story
Old 05-02-2011, 08:04 PM
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Walker
Originally Posted by F1SpeedTrap' timestamp='1304309784' post='20527636
[quote name='Johnny Walker' timestamp='1304306653' post='20527498']
Do you have any problem with switching the airflow between different exits? When you switch the selector between defrost, floor, and the regular vents does all the air come out of the vent/vents that it should?

A cracked vacuum hose is my initial suspicion, though i could be way off base.
Yes; all of the airflow selection options are working. To that point, the heat will exhaust through each of the vents regardless of the selected airflow setting. At first, I thought the temperature dial may not be working but if I turn on the A/C on max cool and then dial it back toward heat the temperature will adjust to a warmer mix. With A/C turned OFF and temp setting on Max Cool the heat will still be introduced into the cabin...

Is there a single vacuum hose that you would suspect, or is there a vacuum system where the suggested crack could prove elusive? Thanks to Honda's reliability I haven't become too familiar with the anatomy under my hood
There is a vacuum line that feeds to the selector, and if it becomes cracked/broken/melted it will mess up the airflow to the cabin. The main symptom of this is that 90% of cabin airflow (heat,AC,vent) will come through the defrost vents, regardless of whether the selector is set to defrost or not. A by product of this can be heat flowing nonstop at a low volume when it should be off. However if you can get your AC and heat to shift between defrost and other settings as it should, then its very unlikely that this is your problem.
[/quote]

Sorry, not true.

The HVAC controls on all S2k's in all electric. Vacuum control HVAC doors hasn't been on a Honda in the past 20+ years.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:15 PM
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

With the blower motor off, air still comes into the HVAC case while driving., in the Fresh air mode. The air being drawn into the HVAC case is pulled from the cowl, an is heated by the engine compartment.

If you push recirculate, a door closes above the blower motor and cuts off the fresh air supply from the cowl. If you get airflow on recirculate with the fan off the fresh air door is not closing all the way.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:04 AM

this is an old thread. But was this ever resolved? I'm experiencing this on my 03 AP1
Old 09-28-2011, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Slows2k
With the blower motor off, air still comes into the HVAC case while driving., in the Fresh air mode. The air being drawn into the HVAC case is pulled from the cowl, an is heated by the engine compartment.

If you push recirculate, a door closes above the blower motor and cuts off the fresh air supply from the cowl. If you get airflow on recirculate with the fan off the fresh air door is not closing all the way.

I always thought that, in recirculate mode, at least a modest amount of fresh air must still be allowed to enter the cabin. This would be a safety feature to prevent carbon monoxide toxicity in the event of an exhaust system leak.