S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

hot air coming through vents with heat turned OFF

Old 05-01-2011, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by F22CR
you could use the recirculation button to stop air from venting while the air is off.

The heat still comes through the vents unless the AC is on, regardless if recirculation is selected. I'm wondering if in fact some heat is actually still entering the system with the A/C turned ON but I just can't tell because the A/C is stronger.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Johnny Walker
Originally Posted by F1SpeedTrap' timestamp='1304309784' post='20527636
[quote name='Johnny Walker' timestamp='1304306653' post='20527498']
Do you have any problem with switching the airflow between different exits? When you switch the selector between defrost, floor, and the regular vents does all the air come out of the vent/vents that it should?

A cracked vacuum hose is my initial suspicion, though i could be way off base.
Yes; all of the airflow selection options are working. To that point, the heat will exhaust through each of the vents regardless of the selected airflow setting. At first, I thought the temperature dial may not be working but if I turn on the A/C on max cool and then dial it back toward heat the temperature will adjust to a warmer mix. With A/C turned OFF and temp setting on Max Cool the heat will still be introduced into the cabin...

Is there a single vacuum hose that you would suspect, or is there a vacuum system where the suggested crack could prove elusive? Thanks to Honda's reliability I haven't become too familiar with the anatomy under my hood
There is a vacuum line that feeds to the selector, and if it becomes cracked/broken/melted it will mess up the airflow to the cabin. The main symptom of this is that 90% of cabin airflow (heat,AC,vent) will come through the defrost vents, regardless of whether the selector is set to defrost or not. A by product of this can be heat flowing nonstop at a low volume when it should be off. However if you can get your AC and heat to shift between defrost and other settings as it should, then its very unlikely that this is your problem.
[/quote]

Thanks; that's helpful. Although, I guess I'm still looking for the culprit.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It sounds like maybe the heater valve is stuck open and the A/C is simply overpowering it when you turn it on. I know if I have the top up and the A/C on I rarely turn it up more than one or two steps because its really strong for how small our cabin is.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:28 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Have you checked the heater control valve (inside engine compartment)?

I had the cable that moves the heater control valve go bad on me (due to high heat from my turbo manifold), so possibly check that as well.

Scott-
Old 05-02-2011, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by S2K-F8
Have you checked the heater control valve (inside engine compartment)?

I had the cable that moves the heater control valve go bad on me (due to high heat from my turbo manifold), so possibly check that as well.

Scott-
I checked the heater valve cable, it looks fine and adjusts when I toggle the temperature control setting. I took note that the heater valve arm is set in the fully down position when on max cool and the cable pushes out and moves it forward about 20-30mm when set to full hot.

...also ran the self-diagnosis function on the heater control panel to see if I got a DTC code, I didn't.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by SLracer
It sounds like maybe the heater valve is stuck open and the A/C is simply overpowering it when you turn it on. I know if I have the top up and the A/C on I rarely turn it up more than one or two steps because its really strong for how small our cabin is.
This is kinda what I was thinking. Do you know of a way to determine if the valve is stuck open? I checked the heater valve cable/arm and both seem to be working together as expected ... so if the valve is open it would be despite this contradictory evidence.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:52 AM

So your recirc button is not working? Sit in the car with the a/c on(1 light on fan speed) with the recirc button off. Now push it & turn it on. The fan should feel like it got stronger.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mike21
So your recirc button is not working? Sit in the car with the a/c on(1 light on fan speed) with the recirc button off. Now push it & turn it on. The fan should feel like it got stronger.
The recirculation feature/button is working.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:52 PM

I currently have the same exact issue. 2007 model year.

I didnt think it was anything to even think about until I came across this thread. Like you said, not really a big deal, but now it has me thinking...
Old 05-02-2011, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay...

Has anyone with the "hot air coming out with the selector set on cool" issue tried adjusting the temp knob into the hot range from the cold range during cool weather vs warm weather and observed the difference?

During warming weather, you are simply NOT going to get cool air out of the ducts without employing the a/c compressor. The air-intake for the cabin climate control system sits under a plastic guard just beneath the rear of the hood and right behind the back of a nice toasty engine and exhaust header. Warm air is going to wash over that thing constantly once the engine warms up.

If you can get REALLY hot air coming out of your vents in warmer weather when your temp selector is set on hot and then only 'warm' air when it is set on cool, then I would say your system is operating normally....

Very few modern cars will deliver very cool air w/o employing the a/c compressor because they all utilize a very similar fresh air induction system.

Nothing to see here folks....

Quick Reply: hot air coming through vents with heat turned OFF