S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Horrible fuel mileage

Old 02-23-2014, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horrible fuel mileage

2007 with arc intake. Nothing else.
Mileage: 60k

I religiously use chevron 91, and nothing else. over the past few months, my fuel mileage went from 270-290 per tank to 220-230

I've kept up with maintenance every 4-5 months 5,000 miles with mobil 1. Trans fluid was done 10k miles ago. Coolant and plugs not been touched. No codes.
I thought it might have been tires, so i got some new tires..I'm having traction control issues after tires..but thats a differrent topic.
I'll see an eye out for the first fuel tank after i put these tires on, but anyone know why my fuel mileage would have been decreased by 50 miles/tank?

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:12 PM

Did some research, I guess a lot of you guys are averaging 250/tank..so my 220 isn't that bad.
I don't drive with a lead foot all the time, but i do sometimes.
Ill start with changing my plugs..

Any other ideas?
Old 02-23-2014, 05:23 PM

Received 3,535 Likes on 2,539 Posts

I would start with the sparkplugs, the gaps on my plugs were over the service limit of .051" when I got my car with 55k miles on the car. The plugs are expected to last longer than that but they were out of spec, the center electrodes wear down over time and the gaps open up as the center electrode shortens.

Where do you live ?, many regions switch to winter gas blends in winter months and fuel economy drops substantially once the switch occurs. You also get worse fuel economy in cold temperatures and most places in North America have experienced colder temps in recent months.

Lastly, I would ditch the ARC intake, you will lose power with that intake and lower power = lower fuel economy, even though it has been a constant on the car since you purchased it. Not likely the recent source of fuel economy drop but you can do better by getting rid of the intake IMO.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get your stock air box back on. ARC intake is trash, which is a definite loss in mpg.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:01 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Measuring by tank is NOT how you calculate MPG.

Miles Per Gallon != Miles Per Tank

Legitimately calculate it and see what you get. Reset trip meter next time you fill up (to the top, first click) and then divide how much you fill it up (gallons) the next time from the trip meter. That's the only way to go about it.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
I would start with the sparkplugs, the gaps on my plugs were over the service limit of .051" when I got my car with 55k miles on the car. The plugs are expected to last longer than that but they were out of spec, the center electrodes wear down over time and the gaps open up as the center electrode shortens.

Where do you live ?, many regions switch to winter gas blends in winter months and fuel economy drops substantially once the switch occurs. You also get worse fuel economy in cold temperatures and most places in North America have experienced colder temps in recent months.

Lastly, I would ditch the ARC intake, you will lose power with that intake and lower power = lower fuel economy, even though it has been a constant on the car since you purchased it. Not likely the recent source of fuel economy drop but you can do better by getting rid of the intake IMO.
yeah gonna get plugs monday

Originally Posted by QuagmireS2k
Get your stock air box back on. ARC intake is trash, which is a definite loss in mpg.
will do..its just for looks

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
Measuring by tank is NOT how you calculate MPG.

Miles Per Gallon != Miles Per Tank

Legitimately calculate it and see what you get. Reset trip meter next time you fill up (to the top, first click) and then divide how much you fill it up (gallons) the next time from the trip meter. That's the only way to go about it.
yeah i know, its just an estimate..but i fill about 10-11 per tank

THANKS GUYS!
Old 02-23-2014, 08:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am in a similar boat. Averaging about 17mpg. I do mostly city driving and try not to beat on it too much. It is a 2005 with 60k miles. Im going to try new plugs and new injectors to see if it changes at all. Also keep in mind that AP2s are rated at 17mpg city. . .
Old 02-23-2014, 08:29 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Hey bro it's miles per gallon not miles per tank. Fill, drive, fill and compare bro. Then see of there is a problem.

Plus
Air filter
Heavy foot
Sticker tires
Cold weather

All play a factor
Old 02-24-2014, 01:29 AM

There is a problem I know for a fact. As you've seen in my other thread I've owned 2 s2's since 07. Ap1 and my current ap2. I've averaged a certain mileage per tank for years. Winter and summer. This is the lowest I've had, ever. So step one. Plugs. Bro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2014, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Brangaa
I am in a similar boat. Averaging about 17mpg. I do mostly city driving and try not to beat on it too much. It is a 2005 with 60k miles. Im going to try new plugs and new injectors to see if it changes at all. Also keep in mind that AP2s are rated at 17mpg city. . .
I'm sure our injectors are not the problem. I've worked at Honda as a tech and an advisor. And I've never changed injectors as a career and as a hobby. But you never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply: Horrible fuel mileage