S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Horn and cruise control not working

Old 05-23-2016, 05:07 AM

Received 1,398 Likes on 837 Posts

You can't run new wires, as they will just twist up and break.

Running wires is a bad way to fix any problem. Do it right.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
These wires all go thru the "cable reel" which I assume is in the steering wheel (so the wires don't get twisted up when the wheel turns). Like Bill said this is the most probable suspect since there are several non-working items. -- Chuck
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well that it's the cable reel but I read this post by modifry a while back and it got me second guessing and I don't want to buy a new cable reel if that isn't the issue:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/996...-working-help/

Scroll down about halfway through.

If it is 100% the cable reel then for sure, I'll replace it.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:04 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,233 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Sean abandoned the linked thread over 3 years ago without supplying a solution. I hate when guys do that.

I don't have the wiring diagram in front of my but recall power comes from the horn relay coil. I can post the diagram this evening if you think that'll help. The only differences seem to be those of the 2-button cruise and 3-button cruise controls.

-- Chuck
Old 05-23-2016, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Sean abandoned the linked thread over 3 years ago without supplying a solution. I hate when guys do that. I don't have the wiring diagram in front of my but recall power comes from the horn relay coil. I can post the diagram this evening if you think that'll help. The only differences seem to be those of the 2-button cruise and 3-button cruise controls. -- Chuck
Sure, post it but it looks like it might do no good. I swapped out the horn relay under the hood and nothing. I was hoping that it wasn't the cable reel based on that thread starting that if the horn doesn't beep with the key fob being double clicked then it wasn't the cable reel but like you said, that thread didn't post any conclusions.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:45 AM

Another question. What's the typical lifespan of a cable reel/clock spring?
Old 05-25-2016, 02:47 AM

Received 1,398 Likes on 837 Posts

Lifetime.

Unless it is spun beyond it's max in either direction (this can happen any time the steering is disconnected from the rack).

Clockspring will not break on it's own. It is always induced by someone working on it.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
Lifetime. Unless it is spun beyond it's max in either direction (this can happen any time the steering is disconnected from the rack). Clockspring will not break on it's own. It is always induced by someone working on it.
That's odd to me then considering that I haven't touched it since I put the after market steering wheel in and I was working after that and my tuner said that they didn't touch it either but now it's not working since I got it back.

Back to that post that modifry typed regarding the double clicking the lock button on the OEM key fob, if the horn doesn't sound, would this still be an indication that the clock spring is faulty?
Old 01-01-2018, 06:19 PM
Jrz

Any solutions to this? I actually have the opposite problem after installing a quick release. The horn is constantly on when I hooked the battery back up. I had to pull the horn relay for now to stop it. I even unhooked all the horn wires in the Hub and wheel and it's still on. I wonder if those SRS diodes/ bypasses are the problem. They came with two sets which the 07 needs. My cruise control isn't working as well. The horn I can deal with. Anyone have tips on what to do for the cruise control. The light on the dash still lights up when CC is pressed and I'm using the OEM CC fyi. Thanks.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:07 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

I suspect thet disconnected the steerimg coupling while doing the work under the hood. While it was disconnected someone turned steering wheel too far, and broke the clockspring.

You mentioned new turbo piping. Perhaps steering was in the way of getting their hands in there, or they lowered subframe as part of that work (and disconnected steering joint which is part of subframe procedure).
Old 01-02-2018, 04:34 PM
Jrz

I did basically all the work on the car on my car since new so couldn't blame anyone else lol. I purposely positioned the steering wheel straight before removing so I wouldn't have to touch anything. It came out easily and nothing was moved. Weird things is that I disconnected everything under the column related to the horn once it was constantly on as to have no chance of anything in the hub touching. I'm going to disconnect the horns from behind then plug the horn relay in to see if the CC will work then. I was going to run a separate horn button to my siren anyways. Thanks for the input though.

Quick Reply: Horn and cruise control not working