S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Hopped an island =(

Old 08-19-2003, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hopped an island =(

I need some advice guys, and real fast. I just got my S2000 and I was drivin it tonight took a turn and lost it. My car went slightly over a center island which is about 4-5 inches high. I was able to put her in reverse and drive away, no cosmetic damage on the body, and I checked the undercarriage for damage, but didnt see any. However, the car felt a bit squirley to me when i would hit bumps, kinda like the body would sway a bit and the steering felt flighty for a good 5 minutes. My question is, what kind of damage could I have done? Maybe its just my head playin tricks on me, especially after I could have totalled my baby tonight? I did notice that my right front wheel has a dent on it. i know I'm an ass dor driving so reckless, but please help a newbie.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I doubt that you totalled the car, but I suspect you may have damaged some suspension components in addition to the wheel. Don't freak out, just take the car to a Honda dealer, or other trustworthy repair shop, and have them inspect the car carefully. From your description, it sounds like only the front of the car jumped the curb, so have the mechanics focus on the front end. Note that the front A-arms are not that strong and should be carefully scrutinized. Also,, if the rim is dented, there is likely damage to the tire, and even though it may not be externally visible, damage to the carcass may have occurred. If you're lucky you'll be able to replace the wheel, do an alignment and be on your way, but repairs could easily involve other suspension components.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:31 AM

Thank you for your advice. I'll take the car to the dealer this weekend.

-Alson
Old 08-19-2003, 07:50 AM

DO NOT TAKE IT TO YOUR LOCAL HONDA DEALER! Don't give them a chance to void your suspenion warranty or anything like that. First go to a shop and have them put it up on the lift. Does the steering wheel need to be crooked one way or the other in order for the car to go straight? I had the same thing happen with my civic Si. I hoped a 4-5 inch curb completely going 70 and it was lower than my S! My steering wheel needed to be way off to go straight. I took it in for an alignment and that fixed that problem, but the car was never the same. I knew I was selling it soon and I figured I'd nothing about it. I believe i bent my tire rod and broke my driver side wheel bearing. The wheel bearing I had fixed and it costed me $185 with a super discount. The tire rod I never had fixed. The car still never rode the same, but then I sold it for the S. I also think hitting a curb at that speed ruined the two front tires as well. They would shake at some speeds. You should check your tires inside and out for bubbles of any kind too. Good luck and stay away from the dealer for a bit if you can.
Old 08-19-2003, 12:06 PM

They would charge him so much money to fix whatever is wrong it would be nuts. Not to mention the hourly labor rate just to diagnose the problem, if any. Go to another shop, maybe a buddy you know and get his opinion after he looks at it. Another thing, he just got this car. Say he ges to the dealer and says what happened, immediately they think he is a jackass and he will have a real hard time ever getting anything else fixed under warranty again by that dealer. They make notes of everything in their computers. If the other shop says there are no visible marks on the under-carriage, take it to Honda and say I just picked up this car and the steering doesn't feel right. You can play dumb. Give it a try and let us know what happens.
Old 08-19-2003, 12:40 PM

Good point, I'll just let them know I bought this car like this and noticed that the steering was off. Thanks for the great advice, I'll keep you guys posted.

-Alson
Old 08-19-2003, 01:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 1Fast99Si
[B]If the other shop says there are no visible marks on the under-carriage, take it to Honda and say I just picked up this car and the steering doesn't feel right.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:07 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 1Fast99Si
[B]If the other shop says there are no visible marks on the under-carriage, take it to Honda and say I just picked up this car and the steering doesn't feel right.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:43 PM

Do the right thing and take it to the dealer and tell the truth. This will allow the dealer to perform a proper diagnosis and repair. If you play dumb, they will know that bent or broken supension parts are not a manufacturer defect and they may hassle you on future warranty repairs because you have proven yourself to be dishonest. Why does everybody want courtesy and respect from the Honda dealers, but they don't mind acting like thieves and liars themselves?
Old 08-19-2003, 03:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Moral considerations aside (and I completely agree with CoralDoc et al. on the subject), consider that Honda techs aren't idiots. Suspension arms don't bend themselves, so the dealership will ask you what happened although they'll already know the answer. If you lie, you'll just be inviting them to blacklist you.

Steve

Quick Reply: Hopped an island =(