S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Hooking up gauges

Old 03-19-2006, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooking up gauges

So my car came with the 2 pod, a-pillar gauge pod. Along with that came water temp, oil temp, and oil pressure. The guy didn't even run the wires for the gauges, he just stuck them in there and called it a day. So yesterday my dad an I spent 4 hours hooking up the gauges. And we didn't even finish!

First we had to figure out which each wire was for, which took about an hour of looking at the wires, and opening up the gauge I didn't plan on using (oil pressure). Anyways, so we got all the wire run, but I had a couple of questions.

1. We couldn't find anywhere to directly hook the power/lights for the gauges, because everywhere we looked UTH, once the batter was connected, turned the gauges on. Which I don't want b/c that would drain my battery like crazy. We ended up just joinging the wire with a fuse as a last resort. We were running out of daylight, and tired/ frustrated. So I just wrapped the wire around one of the metal parts of the fuse plug, and plugged it back in. So for the question: What is the best place to hook the power up? My dad says he doesn't want it to stay in the fuse like that, so any ideas on where we could put it? I only want the gauges to come on when I turn it to accessory, or to the "on" position.

2. I know how to hook up oil temp, that's really easy. But the water temp. It says to go to the radiator hose and cut it open and what not, which we can do. But which hose? Bottom or top? And also, will I have to do a full flush of the system because so much fluid will be lossed?

Thanks in advance, Aaron.

PS, if this needs to be moved, feel free. I just didn't know where exactly to post it.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:22 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Look at the FAQs at the top of Under the Hood. There are threads in there that discuss (with pics) how to deal with gauges.
For power and light taps, use spade connectors to plug into these at the fuse panel: