S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

hood rattle

Old 04-07-2015, 07:30 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I had to take this fix to the next level this weekend.

Previously i adjusted the latch as far down as it would go. It helped, but would still encounter a rattle over certain bumps or when i shut the car off. By playing with the bumpers, i was able to put a little tension into the hood which reduced it further, but i was still experiencing the issue, and the hood was sitting above flush at parts of the fender, and at the front facia. A little bit more of a DIY for anyone who may be going down this road...

1. With the hood fully latched, i used a couple small rulers to determine the amount of gap that needed to be eliminated. Mine was about 3.5 millimeters.
2. I removed the latch, but left the hood release cable connected. Put a blanket down to protect the paint and catch any shavings. I measured out 4 mils on each of the slots with a china marker, then went after it with a pneumatic die grinder. Filed any burrs off the edges, then touched up with a paint pen.
3. I adjusted each of the 4 bumpers as low as they would go, then made a small mark on each of them with a china marker to create a "dial"
4. I reattached the hood latch, and tested the hood fitment. It was slightly too low for it to latch. Minor readjustments on the bolts until i found the correct height that the hood would latch, and sit flush with the front fascia.
5. I made small china marks on the fenders edges, parallel to the the location of the bumpers under the hood. So i knew where they were located when the hood was closed.
6. With the hood fully latched, you can press on the edge of the hood near the china marks(indicating location of the bumpers). Because we ran the bumpers all the way down, you should be able to flex the hood (push it further down) at that location.
7. Using the "dial" marks on the bumpers, i proceeded to raise them one-half turn at a time, and re-check hood fitment, and repeat.
8. As you slowly bring the bumpers up, then test fit (test flex), you will notice that you cannot press the press/flex the hood down as far as you did before. Eventually you will find the sweet spot for each of the bumpers.

The hood to fascia, and hood to fender alignment is now PERFECT. Couldnt be more pleased with the way it turned out.