S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Hondata IMG

Old 02-04-2006, 10:54 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2QYK4U,Feb 4 2006, 11:51 AM
Great example.

A lighter flywheel doesn't add more power to the car, but it does provide less unsprung weight and therefore allows the car to accelerate faster. If some people could "think outside the box", they'd realize that items like an IMG or lighter flywheel are power enhancers.
If you knew what you were talking about you could see a light weight fly wheel isn't the best for a car like the s2k... Where with a not so great shift your revs will drop so fast and youll be out of vtec...

If your a great shifter then the fly wheel will work out, an average person will just suffer from it.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by kayvan_pour,Feb 4 2006, 12:54 PM
If you knew what you were talking about you could see a light weight fly wheel isn't the best for a car like the s2k... Where with a not so great shift your revs will drop so fast and youll be out of vtec...

If your a great shifter then the fly wheel will work out, an average person will just suffer from it.
Simply said...one mod may not be as beneficial for Person A as it would be for Person B. It all boils down to driver's ability.

The bottom line is a lighter flywheel is a great mod for a person who knows how to shift properly.

Also, staying in VTEC is necessarily a problem, depending on what your VTEC is set at.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hahaha Kayvan.... Stop telling people they don't know shit, please.

If you do a slow shift at redline with a lightweight flywheel, the revs WILL drop out of Vtec, you're right. But your wheels are STILL going the same MPH, so when the clutch catches, the revs will come BACK up to the same spot, regardless of the flywheel. If you are just shifting slow, that might be bad because of more compensation in the clutch disk... BUT a semi-decent driver would know to rev match with a little more gas if they are shifting that slowly to bring revs back up to catching-RPM. Regardless, the lighter flywheel is helping throughout the RPMs while in gear and accelerating.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=2QYK4U,Feb 4 2006, 12:01 PM] Also, staying in VTEC is necessarily a problem, depending on what your VTEC is set at.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:58 PM

LOL, cant beleive this is even an arguement. this is a LONG standing mod on many cars on the market, not just the s2000. yes it is an HP gain. without a doubt. not only does it contribute to a denser air charge, but yes the IAT sees lower temps, therefore allowing a less strict timing regiment. i dont care how many dynos you run on, they may show no gain. thats why all of us who are fast do *street tune* anyone who knows EMS has done a street tune. what the dyno does is help you with a baseline, it can in no way give exact road load.
ill tell you this. i raced a good friend in his stage 3 dinan M roadster. probably 50 times. roll ons from all gears. and he had me covered. not by much, but i could NEVER once pull on him. id just stay stuck to his ass. well, all i did, ALL I DID, was toss on my hondata gasket, and make sure it didnt overlap the ports, and we ran again. all nite long. prob 25-30 runs. and i would steadily pull away. he freaked out, as just before he had made HUGE fun of me for thinking a gasket would help me.
so, im a big fan, and no amount of naysayers will convince me different. that gasket kicks serious ass.

p.s did anyone notice honda has now moved the IAT to the rubber intake boot.. hmm, think they realized the tuning difference. you tell me. later dave
Old 02-04-2006, 03:48 PM

Thanks for your support Dave. There will always be nay-sayers. It's all good. People are entitled to their own opinions.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:50 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=2QYK4U,Feb 4 2006, 04:48 PM] Thanks for your support Dave.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by kayvan_pour,Feb 4 2006, 05:50 PM
Maybe you dont know... But dave has about 0 credibility around here. LOL, he once told me he knew a guy with a supercharged b6 s4 which doesnt exist... Now he saying he can beat a stage 3 dinan roadster (s54 can run high 12's stock) with 3 mods and head gasket... This thread is too funny I love it....

He also can beat every e46 m3 with a bacially stock s2k, but his is a "freak" lol
I know that Dave is very well admired on this forum, but all hating aside these same people who hate on him will tell you that he knows his shit. Does he exaggerate? Maybe. Couldn't tell ya. Don't care. I like his stories. And when it comes to mod'n cars, he knows his shit.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kayvan_pour,Feb 4 2006, 11:54 AM

I must be a great shifter.

Hey since you guys all did the Hondata IMG I am wondering. Mine is sitting here right next to my computer. I can install it tomorrow, but I have been thinking about blocking the coolant into the manifold. Maybe modifying the gasket somehow? IDK, but is it worth it? Or does the manifold stay cold with just the gasket? I don't want warm when its cold out, I want cold. I'm thinking maybe a peice of ABS plastic siliconed and superglued in the hole would work quite well. Is there any reason why not to do this? Thanks, I'm just looking to gain max hp .

I have been doing some reading as well. The gasket DOES block coolant to the TB right? If so, I can take my ball bearing out of the lines then?
Old 02-04-2006, 04:15 PM

^ Couldn't tell ya.

Quick Reply: Hondata IMG