S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Hondata IMG

Old 02-03-2006, 08:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2QYK4U,Feb 3 2006, 07:43 PM
Ok...I don't want any arguments...or further confusion...

Are you doubting what I am stating above?
I have had one installed for a number of years, it works but it is not as big a deal as you are making of it. Depends on the climate you are in and the type of driving, but it will make no seat of the pants difference.

Dyno runs only really count with back to back runs and that is probably not gonna happen since it is not a quick mod.. it seems to me that a 6 HP difference can be seen from a heat soaked condition to a run that is not so conditions have to be monitored closely.

Not saying it is a bad mod, but a lot of labor for one with a limited payoff in a narrow window.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the Hondata IMG on my RSX a couple years ago, and I only noticed its benefits at the dragstrip. While it didn't feel like it added HP to the car, it did keep the intake manifold relatively cool in between runs. Before the mod, the manifold would get scorching hot after the first pass down the strip. I'd have to wait 15-20 minutes before it would cool down again. But after the mod, I didn't have to wait as long.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WyattH,Feb 3 2006, 08:04 PM
Kayvan - I have the same cooling mods as you. THOSE mods cool the engine (thermostat, fan switch, radiator cap). The IMG cools the AIR going into the engine. I wouldn't say you know how this car works, being that you've still been here less than a year, and he's at almost half a year. There is always more for everyone to know.

THAT cooling mod WILL add horsepower. It's like an intake - providing more air = more power. This IMG prevents the air from heating up, thus adds a few hp.

Mine is at home awaiting installation.
Was the max gain 6whp? At what rpm? Any peak gain? Cool!

Cheers!
it does not add horsepower... period, you can think that at all you want.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The dyno is the perfect place to "prove" that this mod makes power, because you normally do a few runs, and the car sits stagnant between runs, allowing the intake manifold to become thoroughly heat-soaked (thereby increasing intake air temperatures on subsequent runs and robbing the engine of power). All the IMG does is minimize the amount of heat soak that you get between runs, which does make it look like you're making more power.

A neat little trick that I picked up from gernby is this:
At the beginning of each dyno pull, run the car (in gear) at 3-4K RPMs for about 30 seconds to a minute, then immediately rip off the run.
This will allow the engine to suck some cool air through the intake manifold, lowering the IAT and diminishing some of the heat soak impacts (regardless of whether you have the IMG or not).

In the end, cdelena is right. The fact is... this mod does not make power... it simply prevents you from losing power under certain conditions.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:28 AM

Dosen't actually gain power just keeps you a couple degrees cooler.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:15 AM

Say what you will about an IMG not being a power added. Call it a power loss stopper. The glass is either half full, or half empty. It is all a matter of perception.

Fact of the matter is the IMG STOPPED 6whp from being lost and therefore my S GAINED 6whp.

And no, you will not feel the extra 6whp at the seat of your pants. But you will notice the difference as you track the car, either autocross or drag.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mxt_77,Feb 4 2006, 06:50 AM
The dyno is the perfect place to "prove" that this mod makes power, because you normally do a few runs, and the car sits stagnant between runs, allowing the intake manifold to become thoroughly heat-soaked (thereby increasing intake air temperatures on subsequent runs and robbing the engine of power). All the IMG does is minimize the amount of heat soak that you get between runs, which does make it look like you're making more power.

A neat little trick that I picked up from gernby is this:
At the beginning of each dyno pull, run the car (in gear) at 3-4K RPMs for about 30 seconds to a minute, then immediately rip off the run.
This will allow the engine to suck some cool air through the intake manifold, lowering the IAT and diminishing some of the heat soak impacts (regardless of whether you have the IMG or not).

In the end, cdelena is right. The fact is... this mod does not make power... it simply prevents you from losing power under certain conditions.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by kayvan_pour,Feb 4 2006, 11:32 AM
Then we all pretty much agree.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=2QYK4U,Feb 4 2006, 10:15 AM] Say what you will about an IMG not being a power added.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by WyattH,Feb 4 2006, 12:42 PM
Or a lightweight flywheel? Surely that isn't touching the engine, but the car will be (albeit small) faster and dyno more hp...
Great example.

A lighter flywheel doesn't add more power to the car, but it does provide less unsprung weight and therefore allows the car to accelerate faster. If some people could "think outside the box", they'd realize that items like an IMG or lighter flywheel are power enhancers.

Quick Reply: Hondata IMG