S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Hondata heat shield gasket

Old 03-29-2002, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hondata heat shield gasket

Just had the hondata heat shield gasket installed on my car, picking it up this afternoon. Given marcucci's good results, I am anxiously awaiting to see how well it works.

If the results are as good as previously reported, I believe this mod will be a "must do" for SC owners.

I will report impressions when I have put some miles on.
Old 03-29-2002, 10:17 AM

rocketman,
Do you mind me asking how much the install cost? And where did you get it installed?
Old 03-29-2002, 10:18 AM

I'm way too lazy to read marcucci's long review...please let me know how it works. Probably something I should do.
Old 03-29-2002, 10:40 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by HeNeSSeY
[B]rocketman,
Old 03-29-2002, 12:27 PM

I too am order the gasket from hondata and i ordered the 12mm washer and muffler gasket...me and my friend are gonna do the work ourselves.
Old 04-01-2002, 08:33 AM

While the car was in for work, in addition to the hondata gasket, I also installed mugen thermostat and rad cap.

My first impressions of the heat shield gasket are that it is keeping the car cooler. It's hard to really say "damn this thing is keeping the car cool and i'll never bog because of heat again!", mainly because it is still cool weather. I have driven a couple of days with temps in the 60s and there have been instances where I might have previously felt heat effects:

- uphill road, 15-20 cars waiting to get thru a light, 3 or 4 cycles of the light stop and go until I finally get thru the light, didn't seem to be any heat effects

- 10 minute drive to the store, back out in about 5-10 minutes, no apparent heat soak effects

The real test will be when temps get into the 80s or beyond, but that's still a month or two away around here.

One thing I think I have noticed is the car gets up to 3 bars quicker. Now this may be because it is getting warmer outside, but it also makes sense with the heat shield and thermostat:

thermostat flows coolant at a lower temp; gasket isolates intake manifold, so this is less thermal mass to get up to temp.

I need to pay closer attention and see if it really does get up to temp faster.
Old 04-01-2002, 08:38 AM

Is there any reason to not do the heat shield gasket mod?
Old 04-01-2002, 11:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Warmup:
I have not noticed a difference in warm-up times. On my test data, 2 bars ocurred at the same time (exactly) given almost identical conditions (cold start, ~70 deg. weather, etc.).

Downfalls:
Other than the installation pains, I cannot for the life of me find a downfall to the manifold insulator install. Possibly TB freezing if you live in Antarctica... in which case you probably don't drive an S2 much. Even then, I'd still install the spacer but allow coolant in the TB (but not the IAC). This is an easy enough mod.

WARNINGS!!!
Rocketman, be sure to check (or have the shop check) the torque on the mounting bolts. Mine did come loose... if they overtorqued to about 22 ft-lbs and stepped it you are probably OK... if not, check them, they will likely loosen over the first few driving cycles. Also pop the hood and look/smell for coolant or fuel leaks occasionally. Other than that... you should notice a vast improvement in warmer weather.
Old 04-01-2002, 11:31 AM

So am I right by saying that what this mod does is let the engine run cooler? Do you have to have the Comptech SC for this mod? How much is the Hondata piece?
Old 04-01-2002, 11:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The t-stat and switch make the engine run cooler (cooling system regulates around 170 degrees F instead of 195). The insulator helps keep the manifold cooler by isolating it from the head and cooling system which are the two largest heat sources to it.

A cooler engine generally means more headroom on the cooling system as well as a cooler intake charge. A cooler manifold means a cooler intake charge. A cooler intake charge means a greater air density and more power.

The Mugen parts are around $40 apiece (t-stat and switch) from King and the Spoon pieces are about $60 apiece from Mingster (sorry, Richard!).

Quick Reply: Hondata heat shield gasket