S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Hondata Gasket

Old 08-23-2006, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hondata Gasket

Yet another story of how difficult it is to take the manifold off! I cant beleive so much stuff is hooked up to the friggin manifold. You dont need the studs so dont waste your money. I didnt even ream out the holes in the manifold support bracket I just put 2 washers between the bracket and the belt tensioner bracket bolted to the block. Once you get the right combination of extensions and swivels you can get to everything fairly easily. I took the alternator and tensioner bracket off to make them much easier to access, anyone else take out the alt and tensioner?

Havent even started the car yet, Ported and polished the insides of the manifold and throttle body real well to see if I can notice a difference Put a nice angle on the entrance of the throttle body. I have become pretty good workin with aluminum Machine shop quality baby!
Old 08-23-2006, 08:28 PM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the alternator, tensioner and IAC. Gave me enough room to get my fat american hands under the manifold.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:25 PM

Report back soon. Porting/polishing the manny and TB are something I might do in the future, as well as install the hondata gasket.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I pulled of the alternator, but not the tensioner...and yes...it was a pain. Probably one of the harder and more time consuming things I've done to this car.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:00 PM

i was seriously considering this modification but the install looks like a pain....

looks like i will skip this mod too.... sorry i have to puss out...
Old 08-24-2006, 05:18 AM
Ek9
Banned

You do get that feeling of accomplishment when you're done.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:21 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

How much gain,for so much work???
Worth it???
Old 08-24-2006, 06:04 AM
Ek9
Banned

My own opinion is it's a slight improvement at best. I don't drive in traffic though. People mainly report it improves the heat soak bog. My expectation that it hurts wintertime drivability till the engine gets good and warm.

My temperature monitoring does show it reduces intake temp AND it allows a hot intake to cool much faster then you get driving again. So, if you believe Hondata's dyno numbers, it does do what they advertise.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:15 PM

Well I did some highway driving today and the car ran very well. I still have to check the torquen on the manifold to make sure they are to the proper level. As far as the manifold I have a special snap on die grinder made just for getting into tight spaces. I polished practically the entire inside of the mani. After driving my celica for two weeks while I took my time workin on the S I must say the car feels so much faster its hard to tell the gain in what I did. But I will post up dyno numbers hopefully soon. I was making 218whp before, I'd like to see 220 but im sure thats a little wishful thinking. I also freshened up the coolant system with some new blue stuff from honda and added Water wetter. I will drive the car tomorrow and post up if the heat bog is any better, hopefully I can keep u guys posted.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:01 PM

I called Lute Riley Honda wondering how long and how much to justify things. They quoted me $450.00 to do it.... Hmmm.

Quick Reply: Hondata Gasket