S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Hondata Gasket = GREATNESS

Old 05-23-2004, 01:22 PM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Slows2k
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not real certain why it wouldn't be a good idea, seeing the air intake temps on a SC or turbo car are even higher than a NA one. One would tend to think it would make even more of a difference with FI than NA. I'm not following Fltsfshr's mechanic's logic.
Old 05-23-2004, 02:33 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I guess he's assuming the intake manifold is a heatsink for the head. By insulating it the heat stays in the head.

The logic is sound, but how much heat the inatke actually dissipates is the question. I doubt it's much at all. The coolant is doing 99% of the job and is unaffected.
Old 05-23-2004, 03:06 PM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

thats exactly right Aus and it's why I asked the question.

fltsfshr
Old 05-23-2004, 03:19 PM

I realise that, but it seems some people don't so I'm adding clarifiction to your question (for the others) and giving my opinion (for your benefit).

Does anyone else have some input so we can further this? Is the intake manifold a heatsink of substantial effect so as to make this concern a reality, or is it negligable and hence an unwarranted worry?
Old 05-23-2004, 03:24 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

I'm with Aus, I don't see the intake acting as much of a heat sink. The coolant/radiator is disapating much more heat than the intake manifold.

Who want's to be the 1st SC to dyno the Gasket's effects on heat soak? I nominate someone other than myself, because pulling the intake is a pain.
Old 05-23-2004, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Slows2k
Who want's to be the 1st SC to dyno the Gasket's effects on heat soak? I nominate someone other than myself, because pulling the intake is a pain.
I'm going to be doing dave22's intake, along with a mugen t-stat, sender and cap, at some point in the future. If he is gonna dyno it after words, I have no idea....
Old 05-23-2004, 03:53 PM

I have a Hondata gasket and am planning to install this weekend.

But I don't intend to do any major testing. I'll just let you know if I get less low end bogging, more consistent power, and whether or not I blow the head gasket.
Old 05-23-2004, 06:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by Road Rage
So let me get this straight - you guys are driving to Todd's house (Gasket Mecca?) to get this done - he charges, how much? I asked tenblades if he drove all the way from Va to Tx and back to have this done, but have not heard an answer yet.
Gasket Mecca

I drove out to see him because he's less than 3 hours from my house, needed an excuse for a good drive, and because I didn't have over half of the tools necessary for this job. Aside from that he's a great guy to hang out with, extremely knowledgable(kind of like you RR ) regarding all facets of Honda automobiles, and he works on your car as if it were his own. Oh...don't let me forget about the fridge in his garage full of cold beer that he generously offered up while watching him work on the car.

As far as Tenblade is concerned I'm sure he will relay his story to us when he gets the chance. He came down to Houston last week for a few days and I'm assuming he stopped by Todd's on the way back to Virginia. It's a straight shot up I-45 from Houston and probably worked out perfect for him. Check the Houstooks forum for the thread regarding his adventures in Houston.

I'll PM you regarding price and the deal I worked out with Todd.

Originally posted by Asura
I figured there was some sanctioning body they had to please. If I was in Texas, Marcucci's Shop would be a preferred installer as he is a very detailed and precise. I will probably do the install myself as NorCal has no such Haven...yet. Fortunately Todd was kind enough to document his installation with plenty of pictures and explanations. Since I have already had the fuel rail off (2X), I think removal of the 'hidden' manifold bolts will be the most challenging feat.
"Marcucci's Shop" just so happens to be the garage at his house, although it is one of the largest home garages I've seen.
Old 05-23-2004, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When the car is warm, the coolant temp is around 80-90+ Celcius. I doubt that the AIT is any where near this temp even with FI. (May be someone can prove me wrong with their aem ems AIT logging). So the heat transfer is generally coolant>>>>intake air when the car in normal operating temperature.

I would not think Mr Honda try to dissipate coolant heat via the intake manifold during normal operating temp. It's like opening a pandora box The reason the system is there is to keep the intake temp warmer during cold start to improve iddle and warm up the car quicker. I believe most honda has this system.
Old 05-23-2004, 11:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by allenheathdj
did anyone have leaks after the install of the gasket??
and don't reuse your wasgers or use the ones that come with gasket.
No leak here!

Quick Reply: Hondata Gasket = GREATNESS