S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Honda's service people SUCKS!!! won'

Old 11-11-2003, 07:05 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by usdm1
ok , i only found that info out this past saturday .. why would i be mad at them for that from the start , if i only found it out on saturday .
my car has factory warranty , no work can be done to the car untill the factory warranty is takein care of 1st . honda knew this , thats why when i purchased the car first , my cd didnt work , in turn honda warrantied it no questions asked .
Old 11-11-2003, 07:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

UDSM1,

I'm not familiar with what warranties second hand car dealers are obliged to offer in your state/country.

In Australia used car dealers are required to offer a very basic 3 month 10000km warranty on second hand cars less than 10 years old, or 100,000km. ( the customer can sign a waiver on this at sale time)

Is McKenna required to offer any warranty on the sale of the used S2k to you. If so it doesnt matter what Honda are saying, McKenna would have to fix your car. It would be their problem trying to have it done as warranty work through Honda.

Is there any way you can make this McKenna's problem for selling you a car they knew was a grenade.

When push comes to shove, it may be cheapest for you to fit a second hand engine from a wrecker. Opening an engine gets expensive and sometimes it better to select a low mileage engine from a wrecker. Most wreckers offer a dead on arrival warranty. If it doesnt work when you put it in the car they swap it for another one.

Speedracer.
Old 11-11-2003, 10:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey usdm,
I hope everything is coming along. If you don't mind, I will like to interject on this.

I personally know usdm and this situation is really tough. This is what I know and hopefully someone may give the right advice:

The 2001 s2k that usdm now owns has been emitting a knocking noise in which is most likely due to low oil level. The previous owner took it in to the local Honda dealership to get it appraised where it was found to have very low oil level. That would be the only abuse that had been done. The previous owner was a older lady (possibly in her 40's) and never driven the vehicle aggressively. It was just neglect on her part that led to low oil levels. During the time of the appraisal, the vehicle just wasn't kicking in at the VTEC engagement point. The first thing that was checked was the oil since the VTEC is operated by sending oil pressure to lock in the pins engaging the higher cam lobs. The dealership then added oil and the vehicle seemed fine.

The s2k was then traded in at McKennas (which is a local VW/Hyundai dealership) where usdm had purchased this vehicle. Whether McKennas were aware of the oil level is uncertain. I do not believe that McKennas offer any types of Certified Pre-Own Warranties. As stated previously, McKenna had only preformed a reset on the Maintenence Required Light. As far as McKennas topping off the fluids is again uncertain.

From my understanding, Honda is refusing to honor the warranty because of the neglect that was unfortunately done. In their eyes, it doesn't matter who did it but the matter of fact that it was infact neglected. The best way to describe this is that if the vehicle was purchased from a private seller that neglected the vehicle, would it still be considered under warranty with the Honda dealer aware of the neglect? Because the vehicle had been purchased at McKennas, I feel that they should be somewhat responsible for a vehicle that they had sold. Honda recently offered to split the cost of the diagnostics 3 ways. 1/3 paid by Honda, 1/3 paid by the Honda dealership's service department, and 1/3 paid by usdm.

I believe that warranties will go into effect when they find a "Faulty" part. If after they diagnose and tear down the engine and find a faulty part that was not due to the neglect, Honda should warranty it. But if the problem is due to JUST neglect, I'm not sure what warranty policies are and what exactly is covered if any in that case.

usdm, please correct me if I'm wrong with any of the previously stated information. This is my personal views and opinions and hope someone will be able to provide you with the proper advice. I sincerely hope that this will be resolved soon so we can get together again and go for a cruise. :-)

Good luck and wish C my best!

Until then, Aloha and Happy Driving!

-Spanky
Old 11-12-2003, 12:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Spanky

From my understanding, Honda is refusing to honor the warranty because of the neglect that was unfortunately done.
Old 11-12-2003, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spanky, let's see if I have this right.

1. He bought the car used from McKenna.

2. He had the oil changed by McKenna, who has to guarantee their work if they charge money, otherwise their receipt or work order has to state something along the lines of "we are not responsible... or we don't guarantee our work..." Which I don't think is the case..

3. usdm1 brought up the knocking/smoking problem and was told by a service rep (not a tech) that it was his driving.

4. Honda found a non-genuine Honda oil filter installed.

5. usdm1 did not perform any of the oil change work himself, except to check the fluid level.

usdm1 said in a prior post...

"... the knockings coming from the block and the oils and fluids are still GOOD!
the next morning , i check again and the oil is 3 quarts low ... there was no leaks or signs of leaking ect."

The point is, the people who performed any work prior to going 3 quarts low on oil, was McKenna, and it doesn't matter what Honda or McKenna has to say about the situation. If usdm1 had a role in choosing which oil filter to use or performing the work himself, or both, then it'd be easy to pin anything on him since at that point he's directly involved... but he's not. Other than being the owner of the car and a customer for the oil change service performed... usdm1 would have a strong case to not be responsible for anything.

Plus, McKenna may've known that the car was abused prior to his purchase, making their credibility worse, and even more questionable for any liability. If this is true, that is.

usdm1 had no part with anything other than owning/driving the car as he does, taking note of the problems and bringing the situation up with the car dealership. He performed no work, and did not choose the part to be installed. The wrong person made a diagnosis on the car (not being a technician) with that "it's your driving" remark. It's not like he waited forever to inform the dealership of the problems and dealt with it for an extended period of time... he clearly stated that once he saw the problems, he took it in as he should have.

Here's the bottom line... if Honda is looking to put blame on usdm1 for using an aftermarket oil filter, then I'd make a copy of the receipt/work order from McKenna for the oil change, and send it to Honda to show he had no part in the actual servicing, it was all McKenna for the labor and the part. Now if the aftermarket part is defective and McKenna is looking to put the blame on usdm1, then McKenna has to bring it up with the manufacturer of the part. In either case, I don't see why usdm1 should get involved in this mess, other than get taken care of.

I fail to see how or why usdm1 should pay anything. I would seriously talk to an attorney about this. McKenna probably realizes that they have a big part in this mess and perhaps buying time to see if they can come up with excuses/reasons to not take full responsibility. When stories change from one conversation to another, that's the proof. That's why I have a notepad and document every word people say.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Spanky ,
alltho , the GM stated that he knew exactly what christy and I were talking about when we said " it's sputtering and bogging upon take off " he said it did that exact same thing for him . Plus he got a low oil light before he had the oil checked . I don't know if what he said was true or what parts were true because his story changes alot .
We also have a 6 month 6000 mile warranty with Mckenna .
Funny thing about Mckenna is , they can't give us any evidence as to what inspections was done to our car before they sold it . We went there for the documents and he took 20 mins to give us a paper with 3 lines on it . The 3 lines were probably what he was writing because he can't provide any proof .. We got more info from Carquest than we did from Mckenna .

Hyper-X ,
Honda kinda excluded the oil filter now , but they told me straight .. " We know it was probably abused before and the previous owner probably ruined it for you . If we tear apart this engine , it's mostlikley we won't find anything that will cause a warranty . Alltho we know your situation , we want to try to help you on your end because we know it wasent you who abused it , it was the prevoius owner . " So thats where the 1/3 split came from .
Mckenna don't want any part in this , they are acting like Honda is the culpret . We spoke with 1 attourny and he's supposed to get back with me soon , I explained 1/2 of my story and he wanted to sit down for a meeting after his other case .
As for Consumer Affairs , we wrote a 5 page story hehe . They said it needs to written on a certain form , so we have the form trying to summerize the whole story .
American Honda , they are a bunch of people just sitting behind a computer with head sets and reading a Honda book to relate your problems . (no help)

Thanks all for your guys supports .
Old 11-12-2003, 08:53 PM

USDM..
Doesn't Hawaii have a lemon law?
Old 11-12-2003, 09:38 PM

HyperX, basically usdm is a victim of a vehicle neglected by it's previous owner. It seems that Honda is denying the warranty because the fact that it had been neglected regardless of who the owner is. McKenna seems to want no part in this and will try to avoid this at all cost although the vehicle had been last sold by them. If McKenna states that you do in fact have a 6 month/6000mi warranty to protect the consumer, why aren't they then protecting their consumers?

usdm, has the McKenna warranty expired yet? If not, you should get specific details on their policies and guidelines to their pre-owned warranty. At the same time, you should also get specific details on Hondas guidelines on their factory warranty. Does anyone have the factory warranty book for the s2000 to use as reference?

Aloha and Happy Driving!

-Spanky