S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Honda Tech Told Me Passenger Rear Tire Wears First

Old 01-08-2010, 06:13 PM

Received 3,770 Likes on 2,660 Posts
Default Honda Tech Told Me Passenger Rear Tire Wears First

I was in my local Honda dealer getting my tires pulled off of my rims. A tech there told me that the passenger rear tire wears more quickly on S2000's. I know my rear passenger tire did wear more quickly than the driver side, just wondering if there is any truth to this. I asked him why that would happen and he said it was due to the operation of the rear diff. Anyone know if this is correct , thanks for any replies. I've been debating getting some non-directional tires so I can rotate them side to side.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is wrong as far as I know...
If one rear tire is wearing quicker then the other you may want to get your alignment checked
Our rear difs dont work like that
Old 01-08-2010, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen this on my car and others, but not much faster wear than the left.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:48 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wonder if that's a function of driving on the right side of the road. And if JDM and UK cars wear the rear left tire slightly more (still the passenger side). The turn radii aren't the same / equal from left to right hand turns on local streets...
Old 01-08-2010, 09:50 PM

i heard somewhere a long time ago that its because the weight of the driver the passenger side doesnt always have weight....
Old 01-08-2010, 10:49 PM

Think of how many turns you make to the right instead of the left. It would make sense that it would wear more on the right side...
Old 01-08-2010, 11:14 PM

I did have it aligned a couple months ago, but that was after the wear patterns were evident. I rarely have a passenger in the car, perhaps it is the weight difference more than anything. I took out my spare tire too, not sure if that makes much of a difference or not. Thanks for the above replies.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:41 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

One time I asked the guy at an alignment shop if I could sit in the car while doing the alignment.
After reading about alignments I figured that would be the best way as I usually drive alone.
I had to climb into the car with a step ladder.
He allready had all the sensors on the wheels and the computer was showing the numbers.
Much to my surprice they did not change when I got in.
OEM springs with Koni Yellows on OEM perch hight and OEM sway's.
I'm somewhere around 67kg.

Anyway..
As far as I can tell my rear S-02's, A048's and Continental winter tires are wearing the same.
We - in the Netherlands - have more and more roundabouts at intersections, but it doesn't seem to change the tire wear left/right.

I do remember, driving in Australia in a rental car, that the left was wearing pretty fast, but IMO that was because the left was mostly on the rougher side - the edge - of the tarmac and sometimes on the gravel.
Those were outback 1-1/2 lane highways.

The Torsen diff wil not cause unequal wear.

JFUSION Posted on Jan 9 2010, 05:13 AM
I've been debating getting some non-directional tires so I can rotate them side to side.
Pssst.. you can quote little bits too
You can swap directional tires L/R too, but you have to take them off the wheel.
IMO its best to keep worn-in tires spinning in the same direction.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:54 AM

cool, maybe the car is stiff enough, that if you remove spare tire (on the back right) and sit on the front left (person) the back passenger tire sees less weight? I have no spare tire as well...ill let you know if mine does the same
Old 01-09-2010, 05:00 AM

thanks for the further replies. I just picked up some BF Goodrich KDW's so they will have to be rotated by removing them from the rim if they exhibit the same wear patterns down the road. Thanks for all of the info.

Quick Reply: Honda Tech Told Me Passenger Rear Tire Wears First