S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

honda ripping me off!

Old 01-03-2016, 06:36 PM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Dealer, nearly $2k, and lies about effort involved, vs $100 at an independent shop.

Lesson learned?

Sent from my SM-G920P using IB AutoGroup
Old 01-03-2016, 07:18 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

What's your location? Someone may be able to recommend a shop for a second opinion on your alignment bolt issue.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha yeah the dealer thinks the S2000 is the equivalent of a Lamborghini. I got quoted $112 for an oil change. They gave me the same excuse for the price ..."because its an S2000" .I laughed in their face and walked out.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dealers have overheads to pay and that is why they charge more than everyone else.
Toyota dealer wants to charge me $159 to replace just the key fob battery for my Prius..Lol talking about ripping off, the dawn key fob battery only cost 3 bucks the most..
Old 01-04-2016, 07:37 AM

Received 479 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by S2K-OED
Haha yeah the dealer thinks the S2000 is the equivalent of a Lamborghini. I got quoted $112 for an oil change. They gave me the same excuse for the price ..."because its an S2000" .I laughed in their face and walked out.
$35 for some off the shelf Walmart 10w-30 Castrol Edge, $14 for a new filter, $14 disposal + shop fee, and .4 hrs of labor, and 45 cents for a new crush washer. $63 in parts plus another $50 for labor, there's your ~$112, granted I think that's insane but not unrealistic.

You can always do the job yourself, for ~$300 you can buy all the tools you'll ever need to do your own oil changes. A good floor jack $150, 4 decent 3 ton jack stands $80, $30 for some wheel chucks, and the rest on a set of ramps to drive up, and put your floor jack on the jacking point, and a cheap ass filter wrench, and a 7 quart pan.

Plus you can use those tools for other things, like transmission fluid, and diff fluid, or basically anything else short of removing the engine(need a cherry picker/engine hoist for that). Add in a hydraulic press, and a decent multi-meter and you can basically dismantle, diagnose, and repair anything on this car yourself.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerXI
What's your location? Someone may be able to recommend a shop for a second opinion on your alignment bolt issue.
I'm in the Boston area.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Dealer, nearly $2k, and lies about effort involved, vs $100 at an independent shop.

Lesson learned?

Sent from my SM-G920P using IB AutoGroup
Definitely never going back to the dealer with my S. I just figured why not let them see what they tell me my independent shop that did my motor swap only charged me $600 for labor i could just image what the dealer would of told me.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:52 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't need to remove the subframe to replace any bolt or cam thats involved with alignment, stripped, seized, or anything else. A sawzall and a lot of cursing maybe, but the subframe can remain in place.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:26 AM

Received 1,713 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
You can always do the job yourself, for ~$300 you can buy all the tools you'll ever need to do your own oil changes. A good floor jack $150, 4 decent 3 ton jack stands $80, $30 for some wheel chucks, and the rest on a set of ramps to drive up, and put your floor jack on the jacking point, and a cheap ass filter wrench, and a 7 quart pan.

Plus you can use those tools for other things, like transmission fluid, and diff fluid, or basically anything else short of removing the engine(need a cherry picker/engine hoist for that). Add in a hydraulic press, and a decent multi-meter and you can basically dismantle, diagnose, and repair anything on this car yourself.
Good advice.

For fast oil change without getting under the car you can do this too. With a Fumoto valve it is easy to drain the exact amount of oil you want to adjust for an overfill. I can change the oil without jacking the car or getting underneath it save for the oil catch pan. Oil change with just the hood open.

Some say a rock (unlikely) can hit it and may cause a leak but as I do not off road in the S I will have much, much bigger problems if something hits the valve. Had it for 4 years now; here it is on my S:

To make reading (both sides) of the dipstick easier with clean oil, sandblast or finely sand the stick end.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:15 AM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101' timestamp='1451925460' post='23843198

Good advice.

For fast oil change without getting under the car you can do this too. With a Fumoto valve it is easy to drain the exact amount of oil you want to adjust for an overfill. I can change the oil without jacking the car or getting underneath it save for the oil catch pan. Oil change with just the hood open.

Some say a rock (unlikely) can hit it and may cause a leak but as I do not off road in the S I will have much, much bigger problems if something hits the valve. Had it for 4 years now; here it is on my S:

In addition to the comments above, to make reading (both sides) of the dipstick easier with clean oil, sandblast or finely sand the stick end.

I have one as well.

Quick Reply: honda ripping me off!