S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Is Honda rippin' me off?

Old 11-12-2003, 06:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Honda rippin' me off?

I bring my car into Honda to do the clutch gear recall and now they say I also have to get a new clutch, flywheel, release forks and whatever else goes with that. I might be able to get an s2k clutch from a friend which would still leave me with a bill of approximately $500.00 for the release forks, bearings or whatever they need. Does $500.00 seem right for those parts because they're not charging me labour. Also, with the relase forks, couldn't they just lubricate them? Do they really need to install new ones? This sucks...I thought it was a recal and now I have to get all this other shit!

Old 11-12-2003, 07:29 AM

here are some discount clutch parts:

http://hardtopguy.com/store/customer/home....p?cat=11&page=2
Old 11-12-2003, 10:20 AM

I do not think Honda is ripping you off, they are just charging you the same prices they would charge to a non-recall customer. High prices. Sometimes I get the feeling that Honda salespeople feel a Honda dealership is full of 40K plus vehicles, like a BMW dealership ? and everyone has lots of money.

I would suggest you get a detailed list of all the parts needed and find out the parts list price and internet price. Check with hardtopguy or www.hparts.com ( Canadian parts same ???). Then find out how hours of labor the dealership will be billing to Honda. With a total bill in hand labor plus parts (list) ask for a discount on the parts from the service manager. Stress the fact that you are a recall customer and not a person who burnt up their clutch, etc. Also, stress the fact of the labor charges that will be profit to the dealership.

I also would suggest you let the dealership or another dealership do the work , regardless of price. It is nice to be able to go after someone if a mistake is made or the problem is not fixed right the first time.

Good Luck.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:32 AM

Sorry,

Forget the part about Canada in previous post . Pulled out map book. Have fun in Kings Can. park.

Bye,

Rich.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:40 AM

Is it a recall or TSB? Either way they're ripping you off. This exact same thing has happened to many others. Most of the dealerships will just do the TSB and fix everything that is necessary. Unfortunately, some try to take advantage of the situation to generate a little extra cash. Their responsibility is to replace the defective parts and put things back together in good working order. If they encounter other parts that are worn and therefore can't be reused because the clutch will not work properly, then that's just too bad for them. They need to work that out with Honda and not you. Getting them to do the right thing is the hard part. If you can, you might just want to go to another dealer. If they already have your car torn apart, then just call their bluff and tell them no, you will not pay for any parts. Explain to them that you brought the car in for work that is covered under the factory warranty and you expect it to be returned to you in the same or better condition with the problem fixed. If they still insist that Honda will not pay for the parts in question, then ask them for a letter or notice in writing from Honda or the Honda district service manager.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:55 PM

The clutch gears are being replaced as a recall/TSB, but they're saying I need a new clutch, flywheel, release forks, bearings...all the parts that go with the clutch install. They're telling me that I should do it now while they have my tranny apart for the clutch gears so that it'll save me on labour charges, but my clutch catches fine at redline so I don't see the need. Also, the release forks and such, shouldn't that be covered on the 5 yr/100,000km warranty? In the manual it states that the tranny and internal parts are covered...would the release forks and bearings not be considered "internal parts"? Thanks for the replies guys
Old 11-12-2003, 01:06 PM

So are they saying that you must get all of these parts replaced at your cost? Or are they saying that the parts are really worn so they suggest that you replace them now due to the free labor, but they can put it back together if you want. Also, how many miles are on your car?
Old 11-12-2003, 01:13 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

There some misunderstanding here. There is no such thing as 'clutch gears'.

The clutch consists of a friction plate, the clutch pressure plate and the throw out bearing. You could say that the flywheel is also a part of it and also the release fork.

The recall is on the friction plate. They would also replace the bearing and possibly the pressure plate but that would all be part of the recall instructions. Unless the car has been abused (and this will be apparent) the flywheel won't need to be replaced, and I can't imagine a reason the fork would need to be replaced unless it was defective or installed incorrectly in the first place.
Old 11-12-2003, 02:24 PM

AusS2000 as always brotha good response. Let me chime in, I had my TSB done and they also did my pressure plate because they felt like it. Now apparently I have an issue with something called my main bearing shaft, at first I thought the noise was dude to a faulty throw out bearing which could lead to clutch failure, they test drove it and are covering that under warranty. It all depends on what dealer you go to.

Aus, where are the pics lol? Doesnt matter I wont buy it now anyways. Going NA, cant reach your level just yet
Old 11-12-2003, 04:27 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by Decepticon
Aus, where are the pics lol? Doesnt matter I wont buy it now anyways. Going NA, cant reach your level just yet
I spoke with Adrianc about checkin it out for you, but he said he had pretty much sold it to someone else and would let me know if it fell through.

Wish I'd got ahold of that kit. I love the SC, but a real nice turbo would have been awesome, especially as I now have the E-manage and injectors to work with any FI system.

Quick Reply: Is Honda rippin' me off?