S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Honda PCX Oil Filter made by Fram?!

Old 03-22-2007, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If this is true, that the Dealer is selling filters for the S2000, that are from two Countries, and have two differen't brand's, what are they really selling you guy's
Old 03-22-2007, 02:20 AM

Received 1,398 Likes on 837 Posts

The 5 I have here are the 8-hole.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by RACER' date='Mar 22 2007, 03:45 AM
The one on the left is the old Filtec filter which is differen't, but still a good filter. The one on the right is the PCX filter by Toyo Roki. The PCX was designed to be used in the S2000. They are both good oil filters, but the PCX is spec for the S2000. Both have metal end caps, metal bypass valve's and good filtration.

Being that the S2000 has a high pressure oil system, the PCX has a higher pressure oil bypass spring/valve.

The Filtech has 6 holes and the Toyo Roki has 8 holes.

They can't be the same filter if they come from two differen't company's (the one's mentioned in this thread)

Alright, the filter on the left looks just like the 6 PCX 004 filters that I just received from H&A. Are you saying that they're mis-labeling the Filtech filters as a PCX 004? The part #s are clearly visible on the bar coded stickers that are on the shrink wrap on each of my new filters. However, I can't find a part # anywhere on the filter itself.

Is it possible that a Filtech filter could be made to the same specs as the Toyo Roki and still only have 6 holes on the bottom?

In any case, this is really starting to bother me so I'm going to try and get one cut open tonight. I have 5 left, so one of them is going to be sacrificed. Out of the 6 that I received I've already put one on my car, it hasn't quit working yet.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:03 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I just bought 4 from my local dealer.. all with Toyo Roki stamped on the side
Old 03-22-2007, 06:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same experience recently - went to purchase the Toyo Roki PCX filter and came away with a US-made Filtech that had the PCX part number on it. The dealer said Filtech is now associated with Toyo Roki - check their site:

http://www.toyoroki.co.jp/e/oversea/ov01.html#usa

While I've read that the new Filtech filter is made with quality materials, the filtering media inside is much more "fuzzy" than the media used in the earlier Toyo Roki filter. Does anyone have any further insight into whether this is a distinction with any difference for our cars?
Old 03-22-2007, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by papalegate' date='Mar 22 2007, 09:34 AM
I had the same experience recently - went to purchase the Toyo Roki PCX filter and came away with a US-made Filtech that had the PCX part number on it. The dealer said Filtech is now associated with Toyo Roki - check their site:

http://www.toyoroki.co.jp/e/oversea/ov01.html#usa

While I've read that the new Filtech filter is made with quality materials, the filtering media inside is much more "fuzzy" than the media used in the earlier Toyo Roki filter. Does anyone have any further insight into whether this is a distinction with any difference for our cars?
Thanks for posting that, I was just getting ready to update my post with that information. You're right, Filtech and Toyo Roki are now associated, I'm assuming this means that Toyo Roki just sends Filtech their designs and Filtech takes the necessary steps to make a duplicate filter in the USA of equal quality.

I'm not sure how you rate the filter media. I too have read and seen pictures of the Filtech filters have a "fuzzy" media inside them, to me this seems like a good thing as all those little fuzzy things increase the surface area of the filtration media. But to be honest I've never seen anyone with any hard facts as to why a fuzzy filter media might be better or worse than a media that doesn't have fuzzy properties.

Bottom line, the PCX 004 is designed for the S2000. It was designed to work with the unique oil pressure and flow characteristics of the S2000, regardless of the filter media used I think that is the important feature of the PCX 004.

In any case I just got off the phone with a friend of mine, we'll be dissecting the new PCX 004 Filtech tomorrow evening. I'll update with lots of detailed pics and maybe we can get to the bottom of this. I want to give a big to slalom44 for noticing this. When I bought my 6 pack of filters from H&A I just assumed they were still Japanese spec because the part # was the same. Obviously, if I had bothered to just glance at the filters I would have discovered otherwise.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Both filters look like they are of similar construction quality. Whoever has gained the contract for making the new S2000 PCX oil filter must have met some sort of Honda performance requirements and then been exhaustively tested (maybe I'm overly optimistic here!). If the media is different, maybe it's for the better. I did notice that the surface area of the holes on the new filter appear larger than the old filter. Maybe you could measure the size of each hole and compute total surface area to see if flow rate would be the same.
6 hole surface area=8 hole surface area
6x(3.14)rxr=8x(3.14)rxr
Old 03-22-2007, 07:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also, larger holes would allow for less pressure build-up I would think. Less restrictive and possible more efficient. I seem to remember some threads related to oil filter bulging awhile back. Possible fix for this problem?
Old 03-22-2007, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by INDYMAC' date='Mar 22 2007, 10:23 AM
Whoever has gained the contract for making the new S2000 PCX oil filter must have met some sort of Honda performance requirements and then been exhaustively tested (maybe I'm overly optimistic here!).
See, this is why this subject interests me so much, usually I don't care about stuff like this. Generally, I'm of the same opinion, in order to keep calling this thing a PCX 004 the Filtech has to be of equal or better quality than the Toyo Roki it replaces.

However, Honda pulled this stuff in the past with the PLM A01/A02 filters, the A01 was made by Filtech and was of decent quality. The A02 was made by Fram and was literally no better than the orange can Fram filters you could buy an WalMart. As a result, I'm remaining skeptical that the Filtech PCX 004 equivalent is of equal quality to its Toyo Roki counterpart, although I'll admit that I'd be surprised if it wasn't. I don't see the S2000 as something that Honda would skimp on but then again, I've been wrong before........
Old 03-22-2007, 08:16 AM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

interesting

Quick Reply: Honda PCX Oil Filter made by Fram?!