S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Honda MTF - Causes Transmission Noise?

Old 09-13-2016, 06:13 AM

Received 210 Likes on 182 Posts
Default Honda MTF - Causes Transmission Noise?

Hi everyone.

My car is at Honda for a new clutch and I'm thinking of doing the gearbox oil while its there. My first choice was MTF like almost everyone here uses with no complaints, only good things to say but the experienced mac there says he thinks it's "too thin" for my gearbox and that it will cause it to be noisy...he recommends a 75W-90 GL4 and says because my car is supercharged it will be better for the gearbox.

Is this true? Has anyone ever heard any noise from their gearbox while using genuine Honda MTF?
Old 09-13-2016, 06:32 AM

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

the mechanic is smoking something and if s/he's a honda tech, then needs to go back to school.

HONDA MTF was designed for our transmissions in an OEM applcation. HONDA approves it. Believe the engineers at Honda not some random guy with a hoist and bunch of tools.

good luck- my car is not FI so maybe someone else will chime in.

darcy
Old 09-13-2016, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
My first choice was MTF like almost everyone here uses with no complaints, only good things to say but the experienced mac there says he thinks it's "too thin" for my gearbox and that it will cause it to be noisy...he recommends a 75W-90 GL4 and says because my car is supercharged it will be better for the gearbox.
Do NOT let this guy touch your car.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by darcyw
the mechanic is smoking something and if s/he's a honda tech, then needs to go back to school.

HONDA MTF was designed for our transmissions in an OEM applcation. HONDA approves it. Believe the engineers at Honda not some random guy with a hoist and bunch of tools.

good luck- my car is not FI so maybe someone else will chime in.

darcy
That's what I thought! It is designed for our transmissions so why would it cause any noise?? Thanks for the input man. FWIW the mac said I should go with MTF if I want and he'll fill her up, he's not being vindictive or anything. He's actually really good and received high recommendation from an S2K turbo friend of mine so I went in there asking for this mac by name.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Mr.60trim
Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER' timestamp='1473775994' post='24061055
My first choice was MTF like almost everyone here uses with no complaints, only good things to say but the experienced mac there says he thinks it's "too thin" for my gearbox and that it will cause it to be noisy...he recommends a 75W-90 GL4 and says because my car is supercharged it will be better for the gearbox.
Do NOT let this guy touch your car.
Haha, that bad advice eh? So Honda MTF will be great even in an FI car like mine? Does FI even make a difference to the gearbox's oil requirements?
Old 09-13-2016, 07:06 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Forced Induction should not make a difference in what lube the tranny needs. Unless you are making beaucoup HP. In which case you may need a more heavy duty transmission & differential.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by windhund116
Forced Induction should not make a difference in what lube the tranny needs. Unless you are making beaucoup HP. In which case you may need a more heavy duty transmission & differential.
As Peter Green would say eh?
Good point. I'm not making so much power that any of my integral components need to be changed/upgraded in terms of mechanical strength. I intend to keep it that way.
So... Honda MTF it is then!
Old 09-13-2016, 07:26 AM

Received 452 Likes on 379 Posts

For serious track use it might be good to use something that could handle the heat a bit better than the OEM MTF.
I think the Honda MTF would be rated at around 75W-80 so his recommendations might not be to bad.
But I would probably just replace it more often instead of experimenting.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:34 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by windhund116
X2.
That being said,I use Redline MT-90,and Redline 75-140 in the diff;been using that for 16 years.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by flanders
For serious track use it might be good to use something that could handle the heat a bit better than the OEM MTF.
I think the Honda MTF would be rated at around 75W-80 so his recommendations might not be to bad.
But I would probably just replace it more often instead of experimenting.
I'm not tracking yet but even if I did it wouldn't be serious/often. You make a good point though. Maybe that's what he means - OEM MTF is thinner than an off the shelf GL4 75W90. As I said I know he's a good mechanic so I have reason to believe what he says. In this case though, maybe I should take his oil recommendation for the gearbox with a pinch of salt

Quick Reply: Honda MTF - Causes Transmission Noise?