S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Honda F*%#ed UP!!!

Old 02-11-2002, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*update*

I am pleased to say that they handled this very well. As stated earlier.. they were quick to pick up my car.. i know i was expecting a flatbed..but they said that it would scrub the front when pulling it up (courtesy of neuspeed ) .. so the method of tow was wise..

Well this is what i found out.. they drained the oil and less than a quart was spilled.. so the cap must have gotten loose after the drive.. or else i would have smelt the oil burning and the mess would have been a lot greater.. and without asking.. they steam cleaned my engine bay.. ordered a new hoodliner.. and let me know that this will be documented so that if anything happens down the road we can look back on this incident.. they washed and cleaned my whole car.. and compensated for my future service needs.. i have to discuss the details when i pick up my car later..

i know there service department is rated with top quality service an they handled it so.. i'm just glad my baby is ok..
Old 02-11-2002, 12:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very glad to know how well they handled it. sounds like your baby is in good hands.
Old 02-11-2002, 01:28 PM

That is a first. A dealership admitting they were wrong.

Glad they handled that for you. Hope it don't happen again
Old 02-11-2002, 01:30 PM

That is a first, a Dealership admitting they were wrong. Glad they got you running again. From now on I will be checking my cap before I leave.
Old 02-11-2002, 01:44 PM

Good to hear it's getting fixed. Just so you know the same thing happened to me but the cap just unscrewed itself. I hadn't lifted my hood in about 2 weeks and the one day I started to hear a rattle. I took it into the dealership and they couldn't figure out what it was either until we lifted the hood and saw the exact same thing that you have in your pictures (So similar I thought you stole my pics). Mine looked the exact same and I too had about 1 quart missing. In any effect they said that Honda had warned them of this problem and to look for it that if the oil cap isn't tightened enough it can unwork itself. Good to hear it's getting fixed though.
Old 02-11-2002, 03:16 PM

Daymn!!!! well, good to know your car is ok bro.. too bad i wasnt at home to see it towed away. BTW, did u ask to see whasup with my car?
Old 02-11-2002, 05:08 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You only forgot to do two things...

1) Name the dealer that was so proactive in admitting their mistake

2) Changing your Thread to "Dealer F**** up but came through later".

If you lost less then a quart damage was cosmetic only and it sounds like they know they blew it! By the way, for you new folks, be advised that the V-TEC Solenoid is linked to the oil pressure....if the volume isn't there you can't V-TEC....so you didn't hit 9 grand with no oil. Rather then demanding a new engine (ROFLMAO) as some have suggested, be positive (hard to do now I know). Tell the service manager you'ld like to talk to the dealership owner about their positive response to your unfortunate situation. A thread telling owners of your their positive recovery (as opposed to your negative personal experience) can yield volumes of discounts and service assistance down the road.....all dealers are not ass**** as frequently portrayed here. I had a similar experience on my wife's Toyota Forerunner. To date at 46K I have yet to pay for service or maintenance on that car in 3 years. They forgot to tighten the filter at the first oil change (damn kids)...which puit me on the "A" list . Be positive! In the event you do have a problem in the future your positive attitude and support of the dealer can be used by you when dealing with the DSM (District Service Manager).

Use this to your advantage!........go ahead and flame my opinion but I am not legally allowed to post on this board what I have gotten other Honda owners involved in disputes . Those who PM me about major mechanical problems know my motto......be positive at all cost.....it pays, especially when no major damage occured.
Old 02-11-2002, 06:07 PM

1. the dealership was Avery Greene in Vallejo.. and as i stated earlier.. they handled this very well.. i know i stated that i was going in "with rage and anger" but i didn't have to.. they were very attentive to my needs and treated me more than fair.. i spoke with them when i picked up my car and they more than compensated for the incident.. you're right.. staying positive does help and it did in this case.. i'm sure our customer relationship with this dealership will stay in tact (we did buy both of their S2000s)..

2. I was going to change name of the thread..but..i don't know how..

It appears that during my lil driving session over the weekend the cap *may* have been on but not secure.. i never really considered the fact of a new engine.. i knew that wasn't going to happen because my car did start.. i just wasn't sure what kinda of damage could have occurred.. thats why i posted here so that i can get "reasonable" opinions because this has never happened to me before..

Again.. thanks for all the input.. everything worked out ok
Old 02-11-2002, 06:23 PM

Received 5,800 Likes on 3,419 Posts

Glad to hear it finished up so well. If Honda does monitor this board as many have suggested, they should copy this thread and forward it with their training material to all their dealerships. A few of 'em could learn something.

A little off topic but you'll get the idea: I stopped at dealership today in Lansing, MI just to see if they had a '02 blue one by chance. Only a silver/red (lots of red interior red). But I was to learn from a top notch salesman that the blue (the same one so many of you new owners have) is NOT in production yet. hummm. As I was heading for the door, he wanted to know if he could help me with anything else. No, we all know about first impressions -- so much for that dealership.
Old 02-11-2002, 06:41 PM
Zot

OMG...I feel your pain BigRed...literrally...I had the EXACT same thing happen to me...Only I didn't notice until 4 days later when the friend in the car with me said "DUDE...Whats that smeall?" I had noticed it earlier but it wasn't to bad and I guess it just got progressively worse. When I got home and opened the hood and sure enough the cap was gonzo...It fell behind the engine and was stuck between the block and the firewall. Took me over an hour to fish it out with a clothes hanger. ( I was lucky. I heard some owners had to have the engined lowered to get it out)

Anywho...I like you called the dealer FURIOUS...They were pretty helpful also. Payed to have my car towed the next morning. I did check the oil while I had him on the phone and it didnt seem like much was lost at all, but there was oil EVERYWHERE under the hood. Got to the dealer the next morning, they checked out the car, cleaned it all up and offered to pay for my next minor service. (37500 mile checkup) Everything seems to be fine so far and this was after the first oil change I had at this particular dealer.

They made good on everything but I sure feel uncomfortable about going back there. I do check the cap when I fill up though...so be proactive owners...and be safe out there.

Quick Reply: Honda F*%#ed UP!!!