S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Honda F*%#ed UP!!!

Old 02-11-2002, 05:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an Integra that I screwed up when changing the oil the first time. I accidentally left the old oil gasket on and drove it two days until the low oil idiot light came on and then I discovered the high pressure oil leak. I didn't start burning serious amounts of oil until 80,000 miles.

If your low oil light didn't light up solid or blinking, you may have had enough oil to prevent damage. The dip stick stops indicating when you have less than three quarts.
Old 02-11-2002, 07:45 AM

Sorry to hear about this Cliff. I assume you mean that the Honda DEALER F'd up. Which dealer was this? Nonetheless, it is sad that such a mistake happened at a dealer, especially in an area where we actually have good Honda service departments too.
I'd want something in writing acknowledging their mistake, and then I'd want an independent evaluation of the engine to see of any damage has occurred from this unfortunate mishap. If any damage is found, I'd want the dealer to cover the cost of repairing or replacing those parts. I'd guess had the engine seized during the group drive you'd have morereason to argue for a new engine, but just try and get whatever concessions you can from the dealer. Good luck.
Old 02-11-2002, 08:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This loose/missing oil cap busines is very annoying. I've noticed that, if you're not careful, the oil cap gasket can drop down from the cap and prevent the cap from seating properly on the valve cover. Perhaps that happened and the cap fell out.

Here are some suggestions:
1. Determine how much oil was lost. You can either drain the oil into a container or refill the crankcase keeping track of how much oil you added.
2. Have the dealer pay to have your engine cleaned and hood pad replaced, plus take care of any other damage that was caused by the mishap.
3. Have the dealer spring for a 10 year 100,000 mile warrantee. That way, you have some protection in case damage occurred to the engine.
Old 02-11-2002, 08:48 AM

This is the 4th time I've heard of someone getting an oil change from a reputable service organization, only to find the oil cap left off. I've since decided to stop taking my car in for oil changes, and just do them myself.

- Warren
Old 02-11-2002, 09:38 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by chroot
[B]This is the 4th time I've heard of someone getting an oil change from a reputable service organization, only to find the oil cap left off.
Old 02-11-2002, 10:06 AM

i spoke with the sales manager and they are going to drain it and see how much oil is left.. he had the "it is our fault" attitude.. and was quick to get the tow truck to my house so that they can run diagnostics on my car..

I'll update later once he calls me with the results.. my sales rep is also following up for me..
Old 02-11-2002, 10:16 AM

Sorry to hear about your car cliff.....Hope they just throw in a new engine!!!
I must say those headlights look sweet though!!
Old 02-11-2002, 10:42 AM

That sucks..............press for the extended warranty!!! If they are going to use minimum wage workers to do a job like this, they will find out it doesn't pay.
Old 02-11-2002, 10:52 AM

cliff,

they should of opted to atleast send a flat bed tow truck
atleast it sounds like they know its their fault and willing to do something about it.
Old 02-11-2002, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by BigRedDog
i spoke with the sales manager and they are going to drain it and see how much oil is left.. he had the "it is our fault" attitude.. and was quick to get the tow truck to my house so that they can run diagnostics on my car..

I'll update later once he calls me with the results.. my sales rep is also following up for me..
This is sad.

I had this happen once with my parent's car right after I got my license. It sucked, there was oil all over everywhere. Thank God the engine wasn't damaged, I smelled the burning oil and got to it before it was all drained out.

Hope it all works out OK.

Quick Reply: Honda F*%#ed UP!!!