S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Honda F*%#ed UP!!!

Old 02-10-2002, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*I NEED ADVICE*

After getting an oil change on Thursday.. at honda.. i went on a group drive which of course included consistant driving in the power band area on Saturday.. and today when i warm up my car for a nice drive.. it starts with a grunting noise.. so i open up the hood and for some odd reason my engine is all shiny.. and *BOW* i notice that the oil cap is gone!!!! i look and search and i find it behind the engine..

i quickly turn off the engine and check the oil.. the dip stick showed no signs of oil.. i'm not sure how much oil spilled out and when..
and the hood had oil all over it.. i was like WTF!!!

Whoever put oil in my car forgot to put the cap back on (or didn't put it on secure)!!! so i immediately call honda.. but since it is Sunday. the service department is closed.. So the first thing tomorrow morning i'm going there to talk to the service manager..

Here's my question.. What should i do?? i know i'm going to ask for my engine to be cleaned.. and the hood liner to be replaced.. but what about everything else..?? should i ask for a written statement that will hold them responsible if anything happens down the road?? i called the person who sold me the car and he said that he will help me get something out of this.. but what??

I'm worried because just yesterday was the group drive.. and who knows.. i could have been doing this with no oil in my car!?! Any input would be greatly appreciated.. thanks

Old 02-10-2002, 10:20 PM

i'd go for a whole new engine, the kind of wear andtear inside an engine with no oil @ 9krpm. NO WAY are you going be running normal again , plus im surprised your cars engine wouldnt of gone bust on the way home, so im surprised you had no oil. I think a new engine is in need, if not at least new internals. sorry to hear about what happened.
Old 02-10-2002, 10:54 PM

first it was the door... now this? i can feel your pain...

soons2k made a good point, the wear and tear on ur S must be pretty bad (esp. after saturday).... a new engine of course would be nice, but i doubt they'll do that for you.... aiya... i'm not helping...

good luck on dealing with honda... hope you'll get something reasonable from them.
Old 02-10-2002, 11:04 PM

Sorry to hear about that Cliff...

I suggest you to post your thread at S2000 Talk and then ask S2K lawyers to tell you what you can do. Last time I asked them about Group Drive Liability and I got many valuable inputs....

Hope your car is still ok... I think you may at least try to get free extended warranty from Honda...
Old 02-10-2002, 11:21 PM

red,

did the check engine light or the oil light ever come on?? i am not sure if Honda would give you a new engine, but atleast make sure they jot this down in their system that it had happened due to their negligence.
its a pretty sad day where you have to check the oil cap after getting oil change from HONDA. sheesh i wouldnt even expect something like this to happen at a jiffy lube.

best of luck to you in your dealings with Honda tomorrow, please keep us posted on their explanation.
Old 02-10-2002, 11:25 PM

Sorry to hear about this. Others on this board have described similar situations.

It looks as though much less than 5 quarts of oil have been splashed out. It could be you have oil in the car, but it is over 1 quart low. You would have to drain the oil and measure that drained amount. If enough oil is left in the car, there is less of a chance of engine damage.

Of course, that grunting noise on startup doesn't sound like a healthy situation.
Old 02-10-2002, 11:31 PM

oh man, this is bad, sorry to hear that man. Run of bad luck for you it seems... hope everything goes well for you.
Old 02-11-2002, 01:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would do the following:

-- IMMEDIATELY remove this thread! (your drive and pushing the car can be a bad thing if they see it)

-- Go into the dealer, don't expect a new engine but see what they offer. An engine detail and a few free oil changes is about the most I'd expect to get out of them. And that's wishful thinking.

Sorry to hear about the issue, but keep us posted after you get it resolved.
Old 02-11-2002, 04:52 AM

Received 5,800 Likes on 3,419 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Schatten
[B]I would do the following:

-- IMMEDIATELY remove this thread!
Old 02-11-2002, 05:06 AM

Have someone drive behind you looking for any burning oil. Have them do a compression test and a leak down test to see if there is any obvious wear. If any of the tests show problems, push to have your engine replaces or rebuilt. If their are no "obvious" signs of wear, there still could be subtle engine wear that will result in problems a year or two down the road. If there are no obvious problems now, get a letter indicating they will replace/rebuild your motor if future problems arise.

Quick Reply: Honda F*%#ed UP!!!