S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Honda Dealership oil type?

Old 05-08-2011, 05:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Honda Dealership oil type?

I bought an 02' s2000 with 68k on the clock a few weeks ago. It had an oil change from a Honda dealership before I got it and it needs to be topped off soon. Is there a standard oil type that the dealerships use (dino, synthetic, synthetic blend), or is it up to the customer? I know this sounds like a stupid question, but I don't want to make a mistake and mix dino oil with synthetic or vice versa.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Assuming they used the Honda 10-30 its a synthetic blend.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by NA1NSXR
Assuming they used the Honda 10-30 its a synthetic blend.
Okay, thanks. That's what I heard but I just wanted to make sure.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:37 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Many Dealers will use bulk oil which they buy depending on the best deal they can get in the oil market. In the past I found dealers changed suppliers of their oil on a regular basis whenever they got a better deal or promotion. It might be Mobil, Castrol, Valvoline, QS / Penz etc..... I don't think dealers are using bottled Honda oil and I don't know if Honda has started supplying bulk oil. But all oils they use are going to be a pretty decent quality oil as today's minimum standards are so high. I wouldn't worry about what was in there in the past, feel free to use whatever you want , mixing synthetic with semi-syn or conventional won't harm anything and they will mix fine for top-off purposes. The dealer oil will be comparable to most over the counter semi-synthetic or conventional oils.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Many Dealers will use bulk oil which they buy depending on the best deal they can get in the oil market. In the past I found dealers changed suppliers of their oil on a regular basis whenever they got a better deal or promotion. It might be Mobil, Castrol, Valvoline, QS / Penz etc..... I don't think dealers are using bottled Honda oil and I don't know if Honda has started supplying bulk oil. But all oils they use are going to be a pretty decent quality oil as today's minimum standards are so high. I wouldn't worry about what was in there in the past, feel free to use whatever you want , mixing synthetic with semi-syn or conventional won't harm anything and they will mix fine for top-off purposes. The dealer oil will be comparable to most over the counter semi-synthetic or conventional oils.
You made me curious, so I looked at some service record papers. My dealership was using 08798-9015 oil when I got the car, up until 09, then the number switched to 08798-9035, which is 10w30 synthetic blend. Didn't know I was getting synthetic blend until this thread, so that's great. I assumed it was regular Honda dyno oil. Not sure about that first oil number though. Can't find out what exactly it is/was. They charge me $3.78 a quart (6 quarts and $45 total for an oil change).
Old 05-09-2011, 06:10 AM

My dealer used Kendall brand 10w-30. I don't think any place would put synthetic in unless the customer specifically requested it. In that case they should have a record of it, so you could call and ask them.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:54 AM

The dealer will put in the minimum recommendation from the car maker. I know Toyota puts in full synthetic on my wife's Prius as recommended by Toyota. The Honda dealer will probably put in dino 10W-30 as recommended by Honda. As stated earlier, for top off purposes, as long as it's the same weight, what you use should be acceptable. Start thinking about what you want to use afterwards though. It might even be a good idea to go ahead and do an oil change now if you are near the 3k mark, just to give yourself peace of mind (and then change upon the intervals you feel are appropriate or based on a UOA result).
Old 03-26-2013, 08:48 PM

hi so i set up an appointment with my local Honda dealership to do an oil change. I asked what kind of brand of oil and if they have full synthetic. Well like the topic stated and other members as well. They said, they only have Honda synthetic blend. I asked well the s2000 recommends full synthetic and asked if they have it. Well to me if it's a honda car and a honda dealership you would think they would have everything needed to satisfy their standard. Anyways, I have always changed my oil to 10w30 Castrol Full Synthetic. Will the Honda Synthetic Blend be ok to use for this oil change or future oil changes? Just seems weird to me that they do not carry full synthetic but instead synthetic blend. Thanks for your input.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

dino oil to fully synthetic wont harm the s2000 in any way. So if its at a great price then go for it!
Old 03-27-2013, 06:02 AM

With no malice toward any dealer....BUT their job is to separate you from your money.

Do as much as you can yourself.

\rlr
Carolina

Quick Reply: Honda Dealership oil type?