S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Honda Dealer Bullshiting me for my money?

Old 04-18-2008, 01:11 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

"hey...it's the dealership again. you need new tires ...it'll be $700. we're close to solving this riddle. thanks."
Old 04-18-2008, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jyeung528,Apr 18 2008, 01:11 PM
"hey...it's the dealership again. you need new tires ...it'll be $700. we're close to solving this riddle. thanks."
COOL! thanks for letting me know. It's a good thing my motor died, or else I would have crashed while in park! WHEW* you guys are AWSOME!!!!
Old 04-18-2008, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by honda roku,Apr 18 2008, 03:36 PM
COOL! thanks for letting me know. It's a good thing my motor died, or else I would have crashed while in park! WHEW* you guys are AWSOME!!!!
You need to educate them on what a diagnosis includes.

You could sit at home yourself purchasing replacement parts and trying them out to see if they help. The reason you brought it to them is to avoid that, not to finance them in their trial and error diagnosis.

On the other hand, they may ask for you to buy a new starter next so they can diagnose. If so, do it! They can install it during their diagnosis and can't charge you the labor costs. If they do, explain that you never authorized repairs and say "thank you for the diagnosis but the car is running fine now. I don't need any repairs done."
Old 04-19-2008, 02:16 PM

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by honda roku,Apr 18 2008, 03:32 PM
Oh, I should correct my previous post. I bought a third party extended warranty when I bought my S. And when I said my car died, I should say that it failed to turn over. But thanks for the info.
So you're saying the engine would not turn over. That means that when you turn the key, the engine did not move.

This suggests that you had the car towed into the dealer. And since they're wanting to do a compression test and install new plugs, the dealer apparently has been able to turn the engine over. You haven't told us if they were able to get the engine to fire. If they did and the engine is misfiring, then looking at the plugs may make sense. But we have to make a lot of assumptions because you're not telling us.

Is your original warranty expired? I'm assuming that the dealer wants you to put money down to cover potential abuse, which is not covered under any warranty.

There's a lot of information missing, and we will have a difficult time helping you with the problem if you give us the information a little at a time. We can't tell if the dealership it screwing up unless we have all of the information.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:44 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

They are not bullshitting you...

you pay a diagnostic fee.

starting from there, the problems begin.

you dont need to pay the amount given to you, just that your advised about the parts you need to get your back to driving conditions.

OR you can just pay the fee and tow it out of there.

Some people come in for oil changes, and sometimes leave in a rental, depending on warranty coverages for rentals/repairs.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slalom44,Apr 19 2008, 03:16 PM
That means that when you turn the key, the engine did not move.
This would happen on 99.999% of S2000s and would not be an issue needing repair unless it DID turn over.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:37 AM

So it sounds like the general consensus that the diagnostic fee does not include the replacement/testing of parts to determine what actually is faulty. That's not correct. They have the resources and tools to test and only charge for what caused the problem, not every piece they replace only to find out "yeah it wasn't that part."
Old 04-21-2008, 08:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea that is bs any shade tree mechanic ca wrench in new parts till it comes on. Sounds like they are in the dark
Old 04-21-2008, 11:33 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,406 Likes on 1,047 Posts

Originally Posted by slalom44,Apr 19 2008, 02:16 PM
So you're saying the engine would not turn over. That means that when you turn the key, the engine did not move.
The S2000 has a push button start. If your car's been dead since you got it....I think I may have solved your issue.

OP: Read over your warranty coverages. Your warranty should cover everything. Spark plugs can be had for cheaper elsewhere. Why are they throwing parts at it? Were the spark plugs a confirmed culprit? If the car doesn't start even after new plugs, will they refund you?
Old 04-21-2008, 11:37 AM

that some bullshit right there... you can do a compression test yourself for like 20 buck or get a local mechanic shop to do it for at most 30-40 dollars.. change your own spark plug for another 30. Aren't dealer suppose to tell you what they going to do your car before they do it? they can't just charge you for something without prior authorization from you? Man if that the case i would make good money if someone bring in a car. Tell them i did this and that and it going to be 2000 dollars.. damn stealership...

luckily i don't take my car to the dealership.. or else i would lose an arm and a leg over my car problems.

Quick Reply: Honda Dealer Bullshiting me for my money?