S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

HKS Exhaust fumes?

Old 08-29-2001, 06:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shamu,

I don't really feel the HKS exhaust hangs all that much lower than the stock. It is at a bit of an angle with the ends pointing slightly upward, but nothing drastic. If it hangs lower, I would guess only about an inch or so more toward the back part of the canisters which are still much higher than the cross member and other suspension peices.

I'll take some pics of mine tonight and post them here, but here's a link to another owner's pics.HKS Hiper Exhaust Pics

As for the sound, I would say that the HKS has a lot smoother sound than the stock, but it's almost a little too loud at very low RPM. It really seems to sound about the same at VTEC range and mid is slightly louder too. Note that this is from inside the car, so it may be louder at all ranges when hearing the car pass by, but I don't know. I really like the look though. I'm not sure I've seen a better exhaust. The torque curve seems to be a lot smoother and the pull is more evenly distributed accross all RPMs so the VTEC kick isn't as heavy.

If you are looking for the biggest power gain, then go with the Amuse single outlet or the J's Racing single outlet N1 exhaust. I think they supposedly add like a 15 HP gain or something where most of the duals might give you 4-5 max HP's, if not a loss. I would have done one of those but I am going for more of a look and the twice pipes are much meaner looking.

As far as the filter is concerned, I actually heard the K&N's were all dyno'd at a loss of 1 or 2 HP's. I think I've heard the JR is better. I have an RM Racing CAI which has it's own type of filter. Again, I just like the looks of the stainless steel piping and it doesn't really do much for performance.
Old 08-29-2001, 08:59 AM

Thanks for the info Jaded -- I'm seriously leaning towards the HKS now...

In terms of actual HP/TQ improvement, how does the HKS perform? Any hard #s?

I'm also more interested in the 'look' of the exhaust, but I don't think I'd be willing to sacrifice a significant HP/TQ loss...also, I'm very concerned about how loud it can be...that's the hard part cuz sound is such a subjective thing...
Old 08-29-2001, 09:03 AM

Jaded -- I've heard that the HKS Hiper is a lot lighter than our stock exhaust -- true?
Old 08-29-2001, 09:36 AM

i've had my hks hyper exhaust for quite some time...never had any smell from it what so ever.
Old 08-29-2001, 10:25 AM

My Comptech exhaust initially had an unusual smell. I would not call it exhaust fumes though. It went away after a few days. Try to get in on a lift, start it cold, and feel around all the new sealed areas for exhaust leak. I'd guess you probobaly won't find one. Exhaust install is pretty hard to flub.
Old 08-29-2001, 11:13 AM

Swurvydel

I am almost 99% sure that the fumes I smell are from some type of initial chemical burnoff. It's now been about 30 hours and 30 miles since I had it installed and the fumes are almost completely gone now. I would assume if it was a leak that it would keep doing it, but it's not. And like I said, the fumes don't smell like exhaust fumes, they are more metallic in scent. I suspect they'll completely be gone by tomorrow.
Old 08-29-2001, 11:23 AM

Shamu

The HKS is lighter but by how much I don't know. I don't think it's a ton. Maybe 10 lbs at the most, but I think it's less then that.

As far as hard numbers on performance gains, I don't have them. Like I said, I haven't heard of any aftermarket dual exhaust adding any real horsepower. I think the biggest gain on a dual I've heard of is around 4-5 HP and I can't remember which brand that is, but I know it wasn't HKS. Like I said before, the real performance gains come out of the single outlet exhausts.

It does certainly change the sound of the car and the feel of the rev's, but I doubt it does anything to dent the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. You just end up sounding and looking meaner when you pass other cars.
Old 08-29-2001, 11:28 AM

As far as the filter is concerned, I actually heard the K&N's were all dyno'd at a loss of 1 or 2 HP's. I think I've heard the JR is better.
The Atlanta group has recently done some dynos (see thread) and we have found on average that the JR filter seems to add about 3-5 rwhp. Now, I think that more miles on the "stronger" motors also had some influence but the JR filter is definitely worth it's money.

BTW, Jaded, those are some awesome wheels. Are they 18"?

Cheers,
Old 08-29-2001, 11:36 AM

Yeah, they're Work Miester S2R's that are 18's.

Old 08-30-2001, 07:40 AM

Just as i thought, the fumes have subsided. I drove the car about 45 miles yesterday and I didn't smell a thing all day. I drove with the windows up, down, top down, top up, and still no smell. I appreciate everyone's help in deducing that it was chemical burnoff.

Quick Reply: HKS Exhaust fumes?