S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

HKS Exhaust fumes?

Old 08-28-2001, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my HKS Hiper exhaust yesterday and had a local muffler shop install it this morning. I love the way it looks and I'm fairly happy with the sound. It may be a little too loud for me.

But anyway, I want to find out from other HKS owners if a more prevalent exhaust fume smell in the cabin (even with the top up) is normal. One of my friends thought that maybe the mechanic didn't properly fit a seal on the CAT or something and fumes are escaping. I don't have any experience with this, but I wanted to get some input. I haven't used the exhaust with the top down, so I'm wondering if it will be even more prevalent then. After talking with my friend, I'm thinking the fumes must be rising up into the cabin under the console from the CAT, but I'm not sure.

Does anybody know if the stronger fumes are normal with the HKS since it's not as restrictive?
Old 08-28-2001, 06:50 AM

No exhaust should put any fumes in the passenger comparment!!!

While it is possible that you are noticing a burn-off of some coating on the system, it is more likely that your exhaust was improperly installed. This stuff is dangerous. Get it fixed now. Until then, I'd suggest you drive with the top down.

Exhaust kills by putting you gently to sleep. You may wreck or suffocate, both without even knowing it. This is, of course, an extreme and rare possibility but, also of course, nothing to trifle with.
Old 08-28-2001, 07:39 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What you are probably smelling is the fibers/material in the exhaust/muffler burning in. This will go away. All new exhaust have that smell. Very unlikely that a mechanic can install an exhaust wrong.
Old 08-28-2001, 07:54 AM

I did just get it installed, so that chemical burnoff your talking about makes sense. I've only driven it about 15 miles with the new exhaust so this may very well be the case. I didn't think of that. How long do you think the smell should last if it is chemical burnoff?
Old 08-28-2001, 06:13 PM

I bought my HKS used with about 400 miles (reported) on it. There was absolutely no unusual exhaust odor. Double check the gasket where the exhaust joins the cat for leaks if there is any doubt.
Old 08-28-2001, 07:00 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jaded41
[B]I did just get it installed, so that chemical burnoff
Old 08-28-2001, 07:03 PM

Depending on how many miles you drive and how you drive it. But most-likely it will be gone within50-100 miles. Also do you have any pics of that exhaust cause I am thinking about getting it. How much did you pay also. Hope that helps.

Chris
Old 08-28-2001, 08:14 PM

I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them. It does look really good. I got the exhaust from www.advanceimports.com out of CA. It was $898.00 + about $50 for shipping. I think you might be able to find it cheaper, but not by much, unless it's a group buy. But you will also have to pay sales tax since you're in CA as well.
Old 08-28-2001, 08:59 PM

After some more driving, I think the fumes are some type of chemical burnoff. They are getting weaker every time I drive and they don't smell like typical exhaust fumes. The have a very metallic scent to them. The smell actually resonates from the underbelly of the car even after it's been turned off for a while.

I will say that the fumes were actually quite strong and I did get a little light headed. It also gave me a headache. It doesn't seem to be getting into the cabin much when the windows and top are up, but you can still smell a strange scent coming in the vent air. I haven't ever smelled a scent like this coming from the stock exhaust so I'm going to assume it is those packing chemicals burning off of the new HKS. If it's not gone in a few more days then I'll have it checked out. It does seem to be dissapating already though.
Old 08-28-2001, 10:57 PM

Hey Guys, awesome comments!

I'm a proud new owner of a 01 blk/blk s2k. I've started modifying it already (got it about 2 weeks ago) and the next step i'm looking at is an air filter and exhaust.

Any recommendations? Here's what I'm hearing:

Filters: K&N, JR, Spoon with Spoon improving performance the most...comments?

Exhaust: I'm seriously considering the APEXi World Sport dual cat-back exhaust but need to clarify a couple of pts. Performance wise -- does it really improve 'mid-high range' performance? How much quantifiable improvement in terms of HP and torque (wishful thinking?) would I get with a filter/exhaust combo? I've heard that the stock s2k exhaust is a single piece unit and is VERY heavy and that aftermarket exhausts are significantly lighter -- comments??? Finally, does anyone know how the APEXi WS exhaust sounds? I'm not too keen on real loud exhausts but do appreciate a low, bass-like growl...

Jaded -- how's the Hiper? That was another option I'm considering, but I'm curious as to the fitment...my understanding is that the muffler may actually hang pretty low? If you got any pics, can you pls. fwd them to rcsia@hotmail.com? Thanks!

Thanks for any input/advice you guys can provide! I really don't wanna waste money on a system that's useless and/or i'm not happy with. BTW, if any Vancouver owners are out there with the APEXi WS exhaust, I'd really appreciate it if I could listen to how it sounds!

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: HKS Exhaust fumes?