S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Highway Vibration

Old 07-22-2012, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Supra. Thank you so much for the advice. The tires I am running in the rear aren't directional so I am going to go rotate them right now and see how that goes.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:03 PM

Seems this is just as common of an issue as pitting in the CV buckets.. I'm having the exact same issue currently with my S. Purchased it about 3 months ago and noticed the extremely bad vibration when I was driving it back home (72-82mph). First thing I did was swap the CV buckets and pack them with new grease (Mobile 1). Noticed no pitting in the cups and new it wasn't the issue. I have re-torqued the wheels but have no changed the tires yet, they need it bad though! So that's my next step but from what I'm seeing it can be a number of thing's and not pin pointed down to a single issue.

One thing that I have noticed with this issue though is that under hard acceleration it doesn't even do it in the range and anything above that speed doesn't vibrate so I'm leaning away from an out of balance tire..
Old 07-24-2012, 04:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XterraDude
Hey Supra. Thank you so much for the advice. The tires I am running in the rear aren't directional so I am going to go rotate them right now and see how that goes.
That may not help as the more worn part of the tires are still going to be inboard. Dismounting and rotating will put the wore inside edge to the outside (outboard). Good Luck.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:40 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

ya know I have noticed that I only have the vibration when riding top up. If I'm top down I dont have any vibration around 70mph, so I'm thinking the vibration starts from the top and goes down to the wheels. Hardtop strikers might fix the problem.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by durtysocks
Since I've had my s2000, it has had a highway (72-74mph) vibration. Originally the car came with crappy pirelli pzero tires. I thought they were causing vibrations (as it has been said they do), so i had new dunlop direzza dz101's installed. This seemingly "assisted" in making the vibration go away, but it was still there. If the tires werent able to be balanced, I would hope they would have mentioned it, but i may take them in for another balance (free@discount tire)

Searching the forums I saw a common problem with pitting in the inner CV buckets. I decided to swap them and repack them with grease today. Again, it seemed to help, but not 100% fix. Must have been placebo, there was no damage/pitting in my buckets (2005 w/ 64k miles). I would have assumed this was an all or nothing fix.

Any further ideas as to what could cause this vibration at 72-74mph? I've got a 1400 mile road trip next weekend, and it'd be splendid to not have the shakes.

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2012, 11:57 PM

I live over in the UK and I get a bad vibration at any random speed usually at motorway speeds.The car shakes to the extent that I am ready to stop when it suddenly dies down and I go along normally for another 80 miles? I know its not the engine or gearbox and the hard top does rattle a lot in normal use not sure if it should be like that as I have only had the vehicle for 2 months but without the hard top its fairly quiet.

I am woriied its the diff as I am unlucky with cars I bought a BMW530D last year from Liverpool and the gearbox went wrong two weeks later so knowing my luck its bound to be an ecxpensive repair!

I wonder if anyone else has this problem because it seems ok on short 10 mile trips.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:00 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Axle spacers fixed it for me
Old 10-15-2012, 04:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which did the same thing as swapping cv buckets. Moves the bearing out and away from the low/wear spot so that it doesnt trammel in and out of it giving you that vibration. Axles spacers are not needed. Its been discussed over and over again.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:38 AM

when i changed my 6yr old tires my vibrations were reduced!
Old 10-15-2012, 10:58 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 4forall
Which did the same thing as swapping cv buckets. Moves the bearing out and away from the low/wear spot so that it doesnt trammel in and out of it giving you that vibration. Axles spacers are not needed. Its been discussed over and over again.
Axle spacers aren't need but they are so much easier to install and less time consuming than swapping buckets

Quick Reply: Highway Vibration