S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Highway Vibration

Old 06-21-2011, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think i can cut a mechanics work down to <1hr if i remove the knuckles before hand.

Thanks!
Old 06-21-2011, 10:18 PM

kinda stoopid but are the lugs torqued to spec?? 80 ft/lbs...90% of the time at shops they will use an impact gun to tighten the lugs and that can warp the rotors...also theyll do it in a star pattern but tighten them all the way one at a time and thats REALLY bad!!! do it in a star pattern 40,60 then 80...less work then it sounds and worth it. also check u havent lost any wheel weights...the sticky ones can fall off. another one is if they put too many weights on it...alot of shops wont do balancing in the rear cus they think "it doesnt really matter" but have them do it and watch em!!! make sure a torque wrench is used and they do it on the ground NOT in the air!!! any irregular tire ware?? hope this helps...
Old 06-22-2011, 02:35 AM

I knew I had a vibration when my passenger seat and mirrrors shook at 68-74.I had the wheels(oem)
and tires balanced(3 times)better. Then I had a wheel man check and perfectly straighten the wheels,better again.
finally I narrowed it down to right rear wheel.I gave it to a new wheel person who found that the factory wheel had the
bolt holes slightly mis-drilled-(not perfectly centered) and so he did a correction,not perfect but 90% better.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:26 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmm...vtec
kinda stoopid but are the lugs torqued to spec?? 80 ft/lbs...90% of the time at shops they will use an impact gun to tighten the lugs and that can warp the rotors...also theyll do it in a star pattern but tighten them all the way one at a time and thats REALLY bad!!! do it in a star pattern 40,60 then 80...less work then it sounds and worth it. also check u havent lost any wheel weights...the sticky ones can fall off. another one is if they put too many weights on it...alot of shops wont do balancing in the rear cus they think "it doesnt really matter" but have them do it and watch em!!! make sure a torque wrench is used and they do it on the ground NOT in the air!!! any irregular tire ware?? hope this helps...
why would you do it on the ground instead of in the air? i always thought it would be better while the car is in the air.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:01 PM

i was taught to lightly tighten in the air so it sits right on the hub then lower vehicle and to tighten to spec...this ensures the wheel is torqued properly to spec and centered in the hub....after 20-25 miles recheck the torque specs....
Old 07-05-2011, 03:05 PM

this is crazy. i even found a bent wheel. had that wheel repaired. road force and balance came back fine after the repair. STILL VIBRATING ON THE HIGHWAY. ugh. lol
Old 07-06-2011, 03:51 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

shocks? alignment way out?
Old 07-06-2011, 04:21 AM

the alignment has been done twice since getting the car in march. i'll probably have it done again, i just drove 1800 miles this weekend, and detroit roads suck.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:31 AM

Hi everyone, I am new to s2ki. I have had my s2k for almost three years now and love it. I am hoping that someone will be able to help point me in the right direction. To start my s2k goes through rear tires like they are going out of style, I know I am a little rough on them but there is no excuse. I am currently going through 3 sets of rear tires for every one set of fronts. That really sucks, but the bigger issue here is the vibration I get as they wear-out. Since I have gone through about 5 sets of rear tires I know this is a common theme. When I first get the tires put on I get up to 110mph without any vibration, but as they wear out 80mph on certain highway surfaces it shakes back and forth very bad.

I have already had the S aligned, checked the straightness of the body, and flipped the CV boots(I did this because I started getting vibration on acceleration and it fixed that problem). The only thing I haven't tried is new wheels, cv's, or shocks. Any thoughts?
Old 07-22-2012, 11:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Xterra,

The wear on the backs sounds about right. I use to change three rears before the front and that is staying on top of alignments. Only way I changed that is to give up toe, since my car is more commuter with spirited driving only once in the while, I reduce the toe. Which has made the rear less stable on curves but I don't push them to the limit.

At two points in time I have gotten vibration at around 72-78 mph. This had happened when both my rear where worn around 50%. The tires are directional so I had them dismounted and swiped side to side and it has fix it twice. Worth a shot if your tires have some wear. I have some crazy theory thinking since they wear out with camber they are shape like cones and don't travel in the straight line and around that speed the S doesn't do a good job dampening those vibrations.

I know something about going through tires, I have 216K on my 06.

Quick Reply: Highway Vibration