S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Highway Vibration

Old 06-19-2011, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Highway Vibration

Since I've had my s2000, it has had a highway (72-74mph) vibration. Originally the car came with crappy pirelli pzero tires. I thought they were causing vibrations (as it has been said they do), so i had new dunlop direzza dz101's installed. This seemingly "assisted" in making the vibration go away, but it was still there. If the tires werent able to be balanced, I would hope they would have mentioned it, but i may take them in for another balance (free@discount tire)

Searching the forums I saw a common problem with pitting in the inner CV buckets. I decided to swap them and repack them with grease today. Again, it seemed to help, but not 100% fix. Must have been placebo, there was no damage/pitting in my buckets (2005 w/ 64k miles). I would have assumed this was an all or nothing fix.

Any further ideas as to what could cause this vibration at 72-74mph? I've got a 1400 mile road trip next weekend, and it'd be splendid to not have the shakes.

Thanks!
Old 06-19-2011, 04:53 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow, Im having the same problem,however I didnt swap CV buckets, I was thinking it has something to do with tire balance because I just started experiencing this when I got new rear tires...I hope its only a balancing issue
Old 06-20-2011, 03:54 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

I kinda had the same problem. swapped cv buckets - no wear. Got new tires all around which did help alot, but still feels a bit rough sometimes on the highway cruising. Im thinking its maybe engine mounts or my shocks need replacing (im lowered on teins+stock shocks). Maybe you need a front balance? Im beginning to think that maybe this is just how the car is.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:52 AM

I'm wondering if there is 1 or many bushings on control arms that need replacement. Unfortunately, its not just as easy as a visual inspection I dont think, so I was hoping there was some information out there as to which bushings wear faster than others, or at least a place to start.

Thanks
Old 06-20-2011, 06:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a similar problem. I get vibration most of the time on the highway. I didn't seem to notice it when I got the car 8 months ago, but it's more noticeable now. I'm lowered by 1", but from what I read, this shouldn't be a problem for the CV buckets. The ride is very stiff, so it might just be the suspension's sensitivity to the bumps in the road that is causing the vibration.

Tires maybe? I've still got a few thousand miles left on the RE050s in the back, so I'm going to wait until they are worn out before replacing them.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup same problem AND I also got new dz101's but i still get some vibration. I am lowered 3 inches with new axles. Also my tires have been balanced by road force machine so they are pretty accurate. I am going to try to get an alighnment as my last defense
Old 06-20-2011, 01:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have vibrations during breaking? Maybe its your rotors. But if its only at a certain speed i would be stumped too D:
Old 06-20-2011, 07:28 PM

For what its worth, i had a highway vibration that started at about 73mph on the right rear side that was fixed by replacing the bearings, but chasing down a vibration can be a wild goose chase/pain in the ass. I also had a vibration under acceleration that i thought was all originating from the same place, but that one ended up being my axle. Hindsights 20/20, if i could do it all over again i would have replace my axle, hub, and bearing all at the same time, and done it sooner too, the vibration from the axle was bad enough it ended up blowing my shock. BUT Ive also seen people with highway speed vibrations cause by a slightly loose driveshaft. have fun!
Old 06-21-2011, 02:07 PM

mines not that bad.

how difficult is the rear bearings on an s2000? the parts themselves are cheap. is it relatively labor intensive? Removing the knuckle didnt seem that difficult, and i have lifetime alignments on the car. Maybe i'll take them off and have the bearings pressed in somewhere.

this slightly loose driveshaft; which join? where should i check for this? center driveshaft or rear axles?
Old 06-21-2011, 02:51 PM

I think in the book its something like a 2-3 hour job, at say $75 an hour or whatever your mechanic charges. A loose driveshaft is something ive never actually seen in person, just trucks on the side of the road with broken driveshafts, so i cant say what to look for, its only my own personal problems that i know like the back of my hand

Quick Reply: Highway Vibration