S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Highway speed (60+ mph) whirring

Old 04-06-2007, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Highway speed (60+ mph) whirring

I have noticed this sound since I purchased the car, but lately it has been getting worse... especially since I have the HT, with the radio on, you can hear this sound when on the highway. I dont really notice it around town, but I do ride around 95% of the time with the windows down, only put them up on the highway.

It sounds like a wheel bearing type sound, increases with speed, and not RPM dependent.

I have the clutch decel buzz, and another low rpm drone when decellerating almost all the time.

Here is a video.. you can kinda hear a sound, but not very well. (I have the car on two jackstands, and the jack.. so dont worry). If you can tell, the humming/whirring seems to oscillate every 1-2 seconds... like it will get a little louder, then drop off and start again. It doesnt go away, volume just goes down a little bit, hardly even noticeable.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v471/aer...rent=wheels.flv
edit: just noticed that uploading the vid lost the sound quality... i could hear it on my computer but the uploaded one cuts it out.

tests I have done so far are:

Wheel bearing test (by taking them at 12 and 6 oclock, and seeing if there is any play)... which there was no play.

LSD test... in gear, turned one wheel one direction, other went the other way.

Fluids were changed when I got it (about 6-7k ago, mobile 1 in rear diff, OEM in tranny.. no shavings noticed at that time).

While car was running off the ground, at about 30mph, listened around and didnt seem to hear any exceptionally weird or different sounds coming from the rear diff or the wheel areas.

I am kinda thinking it may be the tailshaft bearings, since I have heard about them before. Anyone have any positive tests to see if its them? I am going to take off the center console cover and then see if I can hear the sound more from up there.

Thanks for any help/input.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I still would guess diff even though you think you have ruled it out. They are noisy.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Apr 6 2007, 06:49 PM
I still would guess diff even though you think you have ruled it out. They are noisy.
Well, from what I have been reading, it really sounds like it would be the tailshaft bearings on the tranny. I just took off the panel that covers the center console, and kinda heard the sound more then kinda went away. I think im gonna run around the block like that and see if there is a difference.

Hopefully it is them though... 88 bucks for parts. Right now I would just be replacing them and not cleaning up the whole tranny like everyone says is the correct way to do it.. simply because I have never taken apart a tranny, and its my DD so its gotta be running all the time. If I get really bored after I know they were the cause, then I can take off the tranny if I feel the need. Or I can always try to get it pressure flushed with one of the tranny machines at the shops.

It has gotten quite a bit louder within the past week or two, and doesnt go away under decelleration like most of the diff problems seem to do.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:27 PM

OK... Updated findings.

While cruising, it seemed that the noise IS coming from the rear Whether thats wheel bearing or diff.. i dunno.

But, from a stop, as the clutch JUST catches all the way, and the car starts to go, I could hear what I would assume to be the tailshaft area... seeming like stuff was wiggling around. I could also get it to make a similar sound when floating the pedal while driving. Thats really the only time I heard that area make noise, but it seems like they may be a problem.

Also, when stopped, if I push the clutch in, there is a slight noise that goes away, and comes back when I lift my foot off the clutch (all in neutral). That is the throwout bearing correct?
Old 04-06-2007, 07:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, well you're doing the right sort of things to diagnose it. Good luck.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:36 PM

any more guesses/tests i should do?
Old 04-09-2007, 05:14 PM

Well, I swapped on the stock rear wheels/tires, and the sound seemed to go down. Not sure if that means it is my tires, and I never noticed it before.. or maybe the wheel bearing doesnt like the larger wheels.

I guess I'll just give it time and see if it gets louder or gives me any sign of failure from somewhere.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the tires shouldnt turn at all with it in gear...
Old 04-10-2007, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by blackout,Apr 9 2007, 08:06 PM
the tires shouldnt turn at all with it in gear...

If you are talking about the OP.. about the LSD test, that was done while in the air..
Old 04-10-2007, 03:14 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

let us know when you find it...