S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

High pitch whine on deceleration

Old 02-04-2016, 10:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Tranny and diff fluids flushed. I can still hear the noise

Let me give a better description of the noise: it resembles the sound of the engine winding down. Example: the sound of the engine when we come to a stop, there is a moment where the engine will make a sound that sounds like a wind noise: "whoooooo". In my case, the noise I hear is a consistent, same pitch - "whoooooo"

I tried to listen really careful, I can hear it very faintly on-throttle at 70mph. But off-throttle at 70 mph going down after driving 10 to 15 freeway miles, it is the most noticeable. And it mostly disappears at around 60 mph or below.

I will edit the OP to organize the info a little bit.

Again, thanks for your input!! I really wish to figure this thing out.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be the throw out bearing or the fork. When I did my motor I replaced both and noise is gone.
http://youtu.be/2GkWdHfFkjk

Mine would do the exact same thing. After warming up from driving the noise would be on deceleration around the same speeds. It was super annoying and was pretty high pitch. At idle you could hear a little chatter that was very faint but when you engage the clutch it would go away. I hope you figure it out though
Old 02-06-2016, 09:00 AM

Thanks Redrumm for sharing your experience. So if it's the throw out bearing and clutch fork, I am looking at a clutch job now? I.e. Drop the tranny?
Old 02-07-2016, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by kukudm
Thanks Redrumm for sharing your experience. So if it's the throw out bearing and clutch fork, I am looking at a clutch job now? I.e. Drop the tranny?
yes
Old 02-08-2016, 07:52 PM

Just want to add in some more info. As I was checking some clutch buzz video, I realized my noise sounds very similar to the famous AP1 clutch buzz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QuME20BrEA

The key difference is of course mine is an AP2 with original clutch, and the noise is only very noticeable on a warmed up car from 6th gear 70mph on deceleration.

Redrumm: did yours sound like this?

Any other inputs would be very helpful! Thanks!
Old 03-03-2016, 10:12 AM

Did you ever figure out the problem for the deceleration whine?
Old 03-03-2016, 11:28 AM

Not yet. It's getting slightly more noticeable. Car drives perfectly fine without this noise under 60mph. Maybe when it's more noticeable, I can get a good sound clip.

I'm getting a new serpentine belt, but most likely it is not the belt, just want to rule out the belt. My buddy thinks it's my secondary shaft bearing, but I'm leaning towards the clutch release bearing, even though there is no noise when I clutch in/out.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:30 AM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Tranny and diff fluids flushed. I can still hear the noise

Let me give a better description of the noise: it resembles the sound of the engine winding down. Example: the sound of the engine when we come to a stop, there is a moment where the engine will make a sound that sounds like a wind noise: "whoooooo". In my case, the noise I hear is a consistent, same pitch - "whoooooo"

I tried to listen really careful, I can hear it very faintly on-throttle at 70mph. But off-throttle at 70 mph going down after driving 10 to 15 freeway miles, it is the most noticeable. And it mostly disappears at around 60 mph or below.

I will edit the OP to organize the info a little bit.

Again, thanks for your input!! I really wish to figure this thing out.
Start putting away money for a good used trans replacement. Drive the car until it fails. It will cost you just as much to pull things apart to troubleshoot with no guarantee if the mechanic is a douche. Sometimes you just have to wait for a failure. If you don't have AAA towing id get soon, its cheap at $100 annually and will more then pay for itself the first time you need it.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:37 AM

Not yet. It's getting slightly more noticeable. Car drives perfectly fine without this noise under 60mph. Maybe when it's more noticeable, I can get a good sound clip.

I'm getting a new serpentine belt, but most likely it is not the belt, just want to rule out the belt. My buddy thinks it's my secondary shaft bearing, but I'm leaning towards the clutch release bearing, even though there is no noise when I clutch in/out.
My friend reports the same problem on his 06. I will tell him what you've suggested. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Start putting away money for a good used trans replacement. Drive the car until it fails. It will cost you just as much to pull things apart to troubleshoot with no guarantee if the mechanic is a douche. Sometimes you just have to wait for a failure. If you don't have AAA towing id get soon, its cheap at $100 annually and will more then pay for itself the first time you need it.
Yes totally agree. This is kind of what I'm going towards, just plan for the worst. Good thing is that I do have a decent DD.

Somehow it's just a little hard for me to swallow the fact that my transmission could go out this early. At 51,000 miles, especially without really any abuse - I never launch, don't do lightning fast shifts, 3 oil changes w/ Honda MTF under my 20,000 miles ownership.

Quick Reply: High pitch whine on deceleration