S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Hey guys, check out this dyno.

Old 01-18-2004, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yesterday, our local So Flo group had a dyno day and this is what greeted me. Not
good. I installed a Comptech intake (used) a week ago at a friend's home about 1 hour north of me. During the install, we thought the filter had an excessive amount of oil on it but completed the install anyway. I didn't notice much on the way home with regards to any sense of performance drop but about four days later, I was tooling around town and felt the car didn't quite have its usual zip. Worse, while detailing the car two days later, I noticed a lot of soot on the rear fascia that had never been there before.
I own a Supertrapp exhaust system and one of the side benefits are the end caps which are stainless steel and turn a gold hue (as mine were prior to the Comptech install) when your air/fuel ratio is proper. When they turn black, you're obviously too rich. Well, I changed my end caps to a non-stainless steel version that very week, so any change in my air/fuel ratio couldn't have been monitored by looking at the original end caps since they were in the house being polished.
Fast forward to dyno day. Look at that air/fuel ratio and tell me you've seen something that low before. Good grief.
Let me hazard a guess as to what I think is wrong and I'd appreciate you wrench heads chiming in. When I received the Comptech from the previous owner, he had
taken great care of it, even to the point of re-oiling the filter before sending it to me.
However, when I got it out of the shipping box, the oil was really quite saturated on the foam filter and I thought (as did others noted above) that it actually might have had "too" much oil sprayed on it. You couldn't touch the Comptech air box without getting oil on your hands which I assume came from the contents settling during shipping and the oil getting all over the place.
Could it be that excessive oil may have damaged my MAP sensor which would
result in why the car is running so poorly now? Could this be resolved by either
tapping the MAP or resetting the ECU or is it pretty much determined I'll need a
new MAP sensor? I'm taking the car in to read some trouble codes but the car has
really been running like crap ever since I noticed the soot on the fascia and I know it's
certainly not the Comptech itself, it's a great intake.

Short of getting a GREDDY e-Manage system (which is what we talked about
doing at the dyno shop), I'd like to think that perhaps the MAP sensor just got
pasted with that excessive oil but aside from that, I've got no idea how to resolve
it if that indeed, is the case...short of installing a new one and probably buying a
new Comptech filter since this one might be the culprit.
Old 01-18-2004, 02:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If the filter element is dripping oil it may well be your problem. Some years ago I saw a 12 HP increase on a Ford by replacing a K&N that was over-oiled. I think we saw more than one good increases in the last North Texas dyno day by eliminating intake restrictions. I would address that issue before looking at others.. it likely has nothing to do with the MAP or ECU.
Old 01-18-2004, 06:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Russ, those numbers look bad {Sorry}, but the AF is horrible. hope you can get this fixed.

Chris C.
Old 01-18-2004, 06:22 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Try replacing the filter with a K&N. There's no straight replacement but you can mod the RU-3060 to fit the intake.

Modification just required lining the inside of the flange with some rubber so that it fits the smaller funnel of the intake.

No more messy oil gunk everywhere.
Old 01-18-2004, 06:27 PM

I thought the foam type was better than the paper type filters.
Old 01-18-2004, 06:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by sebrings2k
I thought the foam type was better than the paper type filters.
I'm pretty sure K&N filters aren't paper... they are a cotton gauze. They generally provide better flow than paper filters, and the oil helps them catch more particles.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:01 PM

Apex-i makes the best "paper" filters you can buy. K&N's do let more particles in than your stock filter, but of course flow a lot more CFM. Monsterflow foam filters are probably the best flowing filters you can buy. I'm not sure how well their filter though.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:21 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PilotKD
Apex-i makes the best "paper" filters you can buy.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about swapping your exhaust and intake back to stock and dyno again? Never seen A/F that low before on an S2K. Stock is between 12-14.5 throughout powerband I think.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:45 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Clean the damn filter! It's really that easy. That or replace it as mentioned above. You should probably check the plugs for fouling too.

Quick Reply: Hey guys, check out this dyno.