S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

hesitation and now vtec stopped working

Old 11-23-2007, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hesitation and now vtec stopped working

a week ago i my S started hesitating from idle to 3K rpm. it almost sounds like its backfiring while i accelerate at WOT from idle to 3k. i did the map wack, ECU reset and nothing helped. so i changed out my MAP with my buddies MAP and still the same problems. now sometimes when it first reaches 3 bars and is warmed up it will hesitate all the way to red line, and vtec sounds like crap. so i bought some throttle body cleaner and sprayed out my throttle body. the hesitation goes away for about 1 min. then the popping and hesitation comes back. so i tried spraying it out again and now my vtec doesn't work at all. the car shuts down at 6500 rpms. No check engine light as ever come on during this whole time so im stumped. any help would be great. i live in norfolk, VA if anybody wants to take a look. the car is completely stock besides an intake. its a 2000 with 80000 miles and i have run 93 octane for months now. i also run royal purple 10W 30, and just ran a thing of lucas fuel cleaner through the engine. and nothing has helped.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:04 AM

the car ran great after 3k untill the vtec recently stopped working.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:09 AM

id say check your coil packs. and maybe your oil too
Old 11-23-2007, 10:13 AM

i just changed the oil two weeks ago. also i pulled out each of my coils, what am i looking for. they seemed ok to me but maybe i was wrong. they all had alittle bit of crust on the tip where they meet the spark plug. i also pulled the plugs they where a little white i am ordering some new NGK's do i want the plantuim or iridium?
Old 11-23-2007, 10:14 AM

sorry this is "theintern3658" i accidently started the tread under his name
Old 11-23-2007, 10:29 AM

Well, you can try to change the plugs and see if it works. But when i say check the coil packs im meaning one could be just plain out broken where you would need to actually replace it. does the car sound like its misfiring?
Old 11-23-2007, 10:37 AM

yes it sounds like it's misfiring but after 3 rpm it runs just fine
Old 11-23-2007, 11:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Whom ever the OP is,Nov 23 2007, 02:02 PM
i have run 93 octane for months now.
....what did you run before......
Old 11-23-2007, 11:37 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Double check your oil level. If it is very low, then VTEC will not kick in.

For the stumbling, you may need to do more than spray carb cleaner in the TB. You may need to remove the TB and clean the backside as well. There is a small passage that takes air to the MAP that can get restricted.

Another thing that can keep the car from revving is a blocked exhaust...usually the cat. But I don't recall that causing stumbling...usually it just feels like the car is running out of steam early.

Stumbling can also be caused by by bad injectors, but that usually throws a CEL code.

Some have also found that electronic add-ons that plug into the ecu can cause stumbling if a spliced connection is gounding out.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:52 AM

while ur at it; check if u have oil in ur spark plug, my plug seals were old and brittle which caused a crack in it, then oil started to leak in..causing my car to run like shit, it's a very easy fix; just pop off the valve cover and swap in new ones..btw ur symtom sounds very much like mine..i went ahead and changed the pcv, new coilpacks, new valve cover gasket, new spark plug seals now my car is back to normal..running strong at 115k miles..hope this helps

Quick Reply: hesitation and now vtec stopped working