S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

helped- thank you... Left Strut Bar Tower Sunk

Old 04-08-2011, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default helped- thank you... Left Strut Bar Tower Sunk

Just went about Installing my Ignalls ETD but came into a problem

I had a strut bar on, so i took it off. I decided to raise the car because i hear that to install the strut bar and get the most out of it as far as stiffening up the car a little (ive heard so many arguements for that for the S2000 the strut bar does not really do anything either way but i thought if im gunna take it on and off might as well do it the way which people say it is to be done)

So without the strut bar and without the bolts put back in the screws next to the strut bar tower - i lifted all 4 corners of the car to get ready for the installation process. Now when i got back to the engine bay, i realized that my left Strut bar tower and the screws were significantly lower than they were before and lower than the right side. But this was WITH the wheels on so i figured its probably weighing it down...but why is the other side still higher?? Should i lower the car and take the wheels off and than try again? Or is my left spring/strut tower worn??

Left Tower is noticeably lower, and the screw behind is even lower, i couldnt even get the bolt to screen on.

Right Tower
Old 04-08-2011, 12:32 PM

BUMP!!!
Old 04-08-2011, 12:44 PM

Im not sure where youve read to raise the car but you need the car on the ground with the suspension loaded ( sitting on the wheels) this will raise the top mounts and you can thread the nuts in. Im not sure why one is hanging lower but i wouldnt worry. When the suspension is loaded it should be balanced and give you maximum thread engagement.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:32 PM

I've heard it several times, but thank you! I was worried!
Old 04-08-2011, 05:43 PM

You need to do a better job of explaining your problem. I can hardly understand what you wrote.

Anyway, judging by the photos, it looks as if one shock absorber isn't seating properly because the top mount bolts are on an angle and binding against the strut tower holes. This happened because you jacked up the car w/ the top mount unbolted from the strut tower.

What you need to do is get the shock mount reseated. If you can't get it to seat by putting the car back on the ground, you might have to loosen the lower shock mounting bolt to wiggle the shock upper mount into place.

If you unbolt the suspension, it might move around enough that the car's alignment may be thrown out of spec. You may need to get an alignment once you finish everything.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:03 PM

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,545 Posts

there is no benefit to installing the strut bar with the vehicle off the ground, drop the car and put it on that way and you don't have to worry why one side is different than the other as they will both be the same.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:21 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Chances are if you pull down or jiggle the wheel that isn't "lower," it will fall down, too. Probably just hung up on something. Actually I'm a little surprised both shocks didn't completely fall out of the towers when you raised the car without having them bolted on. That's how you remove them, you know: jack the car up and unbolt them.

As mentioned, you need to re-seat the shock mounts in the towers. It will be kind of a pain if you still have the front wheels on. I'd get someone strong to lift each wheel up enough so that you can see the mount is centered in the tower and the bolts stick out enough to properly thread the nuts back on. You may need to jiggle the shock a bit from the top to get it centered. Once you have both shocks bolted down finger-tight in the towers, you can lower the car again and finish your bar install. Then get the car re-aligned.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:01 PM

thanks for the help everyone