S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Help!Car won't start.not even lights

Old 01-25-2005, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!Car won't start.not even lights

Hi everyone,

I have a MY02. it has only 17000km and 2 days ago i drove the car home and garage parked it. I pressed the door lock button on my remote but it would not lock. so I pressed unlock and trunk and those buttons worked. I figured it was a remote problem or remote battery so I just went into the house. I left the car undriven yesterday cuz I had to move some stuff with my bigger car. today when I turned the key....nothing. no lights, no radio, not even the hazard light will come on. I thought maybe the battery was dead so I tried to jump it with another car. still nothing at all. checked the fuses by the battery..all good.

any idea what I might be missing? I don't want to have to tow it to HOnda in case there is something i can still try at home.

thanks for any help.

allan
Old 01-26-2005, 02:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dead battery or someone stole it...

You should be able to remove the battery and take it to the local parts store where they can test it and get a replacement if needed. Obviously, a charging system failure can let the battery discharge completely so if the battery tests ok you have additional digging to do.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Do you have an aftermarket stereo system, or any other custom wiring?
Old 01-26-2005, 08:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do the unlock and trunk buttons on the remote still work? If so, I'd guess connectivity or fuse issues.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:05 AM
bkw

are you the only owner of the car? if not, perhaps the previous owner had an aftermarket alarm that was not removed properly.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:12 AM

:Edit: Sorry, I can't read. Something to do with short attention sp........... wow something shiny.

Try hooking up the booster cables again, but this time let the other car run for a while to charge up your battery longer.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by revhi,Jan 26 2005, 02:12 PM
Jump it.
Originally Posted by ALS2K
I thought maybe the battery was dead so I tried to jump it with another car. still nothing at all.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys, he said he tried to jump it. Maybe he did it wrong, but if not, then there is probably a broken connection somewhere.

You said you checked the fuses. Check again.

Take a multi-tester and see if there is any voltage across the battery terminals. If not, try jumping it again. Check the voltage with the tester with the jumper cables in place. You should get at least dash lights and stuff if you have a good battery hooked in to the system. If you don't, but you do have a good 13 or 14 volts, then you know it is a broken connection or blown fuse.

Make sure the connections to the battery terminals are tight.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:30 PM

wow, thanks for all the input guys. so quick too. i'm very glad this board exists for mechanically challenged ppl like me.

I tried to jump it again and it didn't work. but then i went to a local shop that i have used "forever" and they lent me a battery booster thing "a yellow box" with built in cables. this worked. i'm not sure if the car i was jumping off maybe had a bum battery too. hmm. anyways, everything works now but i took it to honda to get it checked out. something must have caused this but i don't know what? maybe fuse? maybe alternator? who knows? i surely don't.

the car was new when i bought it. no previous owner or aftermarket sound or alarm. bone stock. i have only 17000km and am pretty careful about maintenance and hope they find the problem. I will hear back from them tomorrow.

i will keep you all posted in case someone else ever has this problem and can use the same fix they find. we'll see. thanks again everyone
Old 01-27-2005, 05:37 PM

Enter your cars S/N number in your profile and become a owner.

Quick Reply: Help!Car won't start.not even lights