S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

help! worn out teeth

Old 08-01-2002, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help! worn out teeth

I had a textbook stuck under my seat I couldn't pull it out. So I decided to remove the seat and pull the book out. Now the big problem is in putting the seat back. I had trouble putting the back bolt back onto the chassis. So I kept turning and turning it won't go in. Using a flashlight I can see the first few teeth on the chassis is worn out so it's not able to catch the bolt. Is there anything I can do? beside replacing the chassis of my car?

I can see the rest of the teeth are perfectly fine, it's just the first few is shinny and worn out.

help!
Old 08-01-2002, 04:52 PM

Take the bolt that was stripped into your local hardware store and purchase a "thread tap." Tell the person at the hardware store you are "chasing some threads to salvage a partially stripped hole." He'll know what you are talking about. It will probably be $10 for the tap.

Oh... and buy a new bolt.
Old 08-01-2002, 06:23 PM

Thanks!!!
Old 08-01-2002, 08:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got back from the dentists office today so you can imagine what I thought when I read the title of this thread.

BTW, those things that are stripped are called threads rather than teeth.
Old 08-02-2002, 03:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1) Make sure you are inserting the correct bolt into the correct hole. The front seat bolts are a smaller diameter than the rears - fronts have a 12mm hex head and the rears have a 14 mm head.

2) If not 1) make sure that there is a problem with the threads either on the bolt or in the nut welded to the chassis. It is not unusual for the first few threads to look a little worn, that makes it easier to start the bolt into the hole in the nut. Did you try threading the bolt into the hole without the seat in place? That may make it easier to start the threads.

3) If not 2) go to the step recommended by RWD_RCKT and "chase" the threads with the correct tool in either the nut (tap) or bolt (die).

Since the car is so new, I suggest taking the car to the dealer for inspection. As a safety structure, it is very important that the seat is secured properly in the car.
Old 08-02-2002, 05:12 AM

Also, when chasing the threads, do so with the seat out, it'll make it a lot easier to ensure that the threads are straight...
Old 08-02-2002, 06:06 AM

The bolt is definitely the right one. I think when it wouldn't go in and I kept applying pressure and turning this causes the first few thread (learning something new everyday) to wear out.

As a safety structure, it is very important that the seat is secured properly in the car.
I'm very suprise there's only 4 bolts to hold it down and the nut on the chassis doesn't look deep either.

Will give it a try the thread tap today...crossing my fingers.
Old 08-02-2002, 07:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just thought of another tip. If the messed up threads are in the rear nuts, they are also accessible from underneath the car. Try screwing the thread chaser up from underneath. That way you know it is in straight. If the threads aren't buggered up too much, this technique may work using your good bolt as a "chaser", but if the damage is too severe, you might mess the good bolt up too.

Yes, the 4 attachment points offer a lot of support to the seat. The nuts are really solidly attached to the frame, and the bolts are hardened with special washers already trapped by the rolled threads. Because of this, replacement bolts should be purchased from the dealer.
Old 08-02-2002, 11:16 AM

You guys are an amazing bunch! I went out and bought a tapper this morning, pulled the seat out. Ran the tapper through, 2-3 turns and voila everything is in.
Old 08-02-2002, 12:32 PM

That's what I'm talking about.

Glad all is well in Indecision S2000 land.

Quick Reply: help! worn out teeth