S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

help w/ test pipe

Old 05-05-2007, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help w/ test pipe

just installed an invidia test pipe and there is a loud rattle now that i cannot find. everything appears to be tight. also( as expected, the engine light is now on due to 02 sensor, if the cat is reinstalled, is the o2 sensor now no good?) does it need to see the dealership to turn the light off if the cat is replaced?

also installed aem v2 cai(which sounds awsome) took it for a short drive before installing test pipe(then, rattle begins

anyone else had this experience?

thanx in advance
Old 05-06-2007, 02:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

rattle could be number of thing, you have to get under the car and find out.

1)loose wire harness clip
2)bolts
3)leaky gasket/no gasket
4)headshield(if you have one of those test pipe with headshield bracket)

the o2 sensor is still good unless you drop it, bang it, twist the wires around. the thing is not exactly cheap so take care of it.

CEL can be RESET by resetting the ecm, which can be done by removing the negative lead of the battery for a brief time or pulling the ECM/ECU fuse.

the cel will comes back on if you still have the test pipe.

also be advised that your ecm will still see the CEL, and it take around 40 miles for the ecm to leanr the long term fuel trim(that's how the works in other honda).
what does it means to you? don't take the car to smog station right after you reset the ECM, even tho the CEL light are not lite on the dash, it's stored in the ECM unless you throw in some miles(40 miles or so)

jason
Old 05-07-2007, 08:46 AM

i had the same problem, so what i did was i got a metal bracket and went around the exhaust then drilled (srew and nut ) on one side then pulled it the other way and drilled again (srew and nut) kinda centering the exhaust in place.

or u could do the (old school) metal hanger thing .your call
Old 05-07-2007, 11:55 AM

Try the CEL fix, buy spark plug anti foulers 18mm, 2 in a box at AutoZone for $5. Drill 1 out with a 1/2" drill bit, screw the O2 sensor into this one, screw this into the other anti fouler and the whole thing into the bung on the invidia test pipe. I installed the test pipe and this same fix this weekend and so far no CEL, fingers crossed!

I have a magnaflow exhaust and the test pipe made it much louder in VTEC, but otherwise it is the same sound, I like it!
Old 05-22-2007, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by iam7head,May 6 2007, 02:35 PM
rattle could be number of thing, you have to get under the car and find out.

1)loose wire harness clip
2)bolts
3)leaky gasket/no gasket

the o2 sensor is still good unless you drop it, bang it, twist the wires around. the thing is not exactly cheap so take care of it.

CEL can be RESET by resetting the ecm, which can be done by removing the negative lead of the battery for a brief time or pulling the ECM/ECU fuse.

the cel will comes back on if you still have the test pipe.

also be advised that your ecm will still see the CEL, and it take around 40 miles for the ecm to leanr the long term fuel trim(that's how the works in other honda).
what does it means to you? don't take the car to smog station right after you reset the ECM, even tho the CEL light are not lite on the dash, it's stored in the ECM unless you throw in some miles(40 miles or so)

jason
I'm wondering what #4 exactly means:

The rattle comes from vibration between the heat shield and the bracket after you mount them on? Or the bracket is hitting something?