S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Help transmission needs to be replaced

Old 09-16-2015, 02:49 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,418 Likes on 1,052 Posts

I'm not sure why there is apprehension to buying a used trans from a reputable source. I have had my AP1 for 9 years. About 5-6 of those years have been with a used, low mileage, flawless AP2 trans. I upgraded for the sake of better gearing and synchros.

The used, flawless, low mileage AP1 trans that I sold is probably still running in someone's car.

The secondary shaft or output shaft bearing is most likely the culprit since the sound is vehicle speed dependent.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:53 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,418 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Wait...are you sure its not your differential or tires?

I'd get the car on a lift and see if you can replicate the noise while "driving" it.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
Wait...are you sure its not your differential or tires?

I'd get the car on a lift and see if you can replicate the noise while "driving" it.
Pretty sure evasive had it on a lift and they said it was coming from the transmission area, they thought it might have been the clutch at first, I replaced it but the noise is still there. When you are in the car it is coming from right below the gear shifter to me. About to pull the trigger on the transmission job, I am going to ask the rebuilders to send me back the parts that are bad so I can see what was wrong.
Old 09-19-2015, 05:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry for the late reply. Been busy with birthdays the past few days.

Here is the thread I was talking about. Please read through it all.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/409...whining-noise/

Also, I found an OLD thread, in regards to our transmission, this morning that's quite interesting. Possibly the reason why my secondary shaft bearings are failing.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/492...-transmission/

Hopefully soon enough, you'll figure out what the culprit is.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by S2KHANG
Sorry for the late reply. Been busy with birthdays the past few days.

Here is the thread I was talking about. Please read through it all.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/409...whining-noise/

Also, I found an OLD thread, in regards to our transmission, this morning that's quite interesting. Possibly the reason why my secondary shaft bearings are failing.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/492...-transmission/

Hopefully soon enough, you'll figure out what the culprit is.
Thanks I actually found that 1st topic you linked a couple days after my original OP. I linked it in one of my updates. I do wonder if that is it though.

As for the OIL problem the other post has. I sure hope that is not the case. :/ Will find out in a couple weeks, I am going to ask for bad parts back to I can report here what it was. Thanks
Old 04-09-2018, 10:38 AM

I read the whole thread, my 02 AP1 with 56K miles has the exact same issue. I have the clutch replaced but it didn't help.
Eventually did you rebuild the transmission or install a used one? Would you mind share the cost?
Old 04-09-2018, 11:02 AM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

holy thread revival. it's unfortunate to hear of transmission going out this early. my original transmission is on 210,000 miles without any issues.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:38 AM

Received 49 Likes on 49 Posts

I hope you and others having this issue check out my thread as well! Spending a few hours to pull down the tailshaft assembly is nothing when comparing to the pain of a trans repair or replace.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...lease-1181421/
Old 04-11-2018, 10:23 AM

This is very informative. I checked out your thread and I would like to make sure my symptoms are exactly the same as yours before making the move.
  1. When idle, my car makes a very feint but noticeable noise from clutch/transmission, the noise goes away immediately when clutch pedal is depressed to the floor.
  2. My noise is louder in lower gears than higher gears. In 4th, 5th or 6th the noise is almost gone.
  3. The noise starts around 3-4k rpm, it only depends on engine rpm, not vehicle speed.
  4. I have my clutch replaced not long ago, as well as flywheel and throw out bearing, the noise still exist.
I tried to describe my symptoms as clear as possible, I have visited 3 different shops, including a Honda dealer in my area, they told me all different issues. Do you have the same symptoms in your car? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Criticalsand; 04-11-2018 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Reformatting
Old 04-11-2018, 10:52 AM

Received 49 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Criticalsand
This is very informative. I checked out your thread and I would like to make sure my symptoms are exactly the same as yours before making the move.
  1. When idle, my car makes a very feint but noticeable noise from clutch/transmission, the noise goes away immediately when clutch pedal is depressed to the floor.
  2. My noise is louder in lower gears than higher gears. In 4th, 5th or 6th the noise is almost gone.
  3. The noise starts around 3-4k rpm, it only depends on engine rpm, not vehicle speed.
  4. I have my clutch replaced not long ago, as well as flywheel and throw out bearing, the noise still exist.
I tried to describe my symptoms as clear as possible, I have visited 3 different shops, including a Honda dealer in my area, they told me all different issues. Do you have the same symptoms in your car? Thanks in advance.
This sounds very different from my issue, which was the secondary output shaft bearing. Mine was entirely speed dependent (40+ mph), and did not change with RPMs, clutch in/out, power on or off, or even engine on or off (engine turned off while car was in neutral and coasting). I would've guessed something with a clutch bearing based on your symptoms as well... I'm no engine trans expert tho so I cannot speculate on anything other than what I personally did.