S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

HELP: took air box off, which hose goes where?

Old 09-25-2005, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP: took air box off, which hose goes where?

So i am doing an oil change and had to get the air box out to get to the oil filter. There is this pressure gauge on the airbox it self. It has two hoses, one in, one out I assume. They both slipped off when I was taking the air box out. Can someone look at there car and tell me which one is high and which one is low on the piece. One is a short hose that goes turns into a steel line and one goes to below to the lower part of the car. Thanks in advance.

md
Old 09-25-2005, 11:53 AM

what kind of car are you working on?????/
Old 09-25-2005, 12:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The airbox does NOT need to be removed on an S2000 to get access to the oil filter.
I'll also ask the question: What kind of car are you doing this on?

If it is an S2000, you took out the airbox for nothing and you have messed up the secondary air injection lines. You can trace them here to get them back to the way they should be:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=105368
Old 09-25-2005, 12:13 PM

It is an s2000 btw. It was hard to get a hand on the filter without at least moving the air box. The filter was on there way too tight. Whoever performed the last oil change overtightened. Yeah it is smaller hoses off the airbox. One goes under the air box into something, then back up to the steel line. The other(short one) goes right from the device to the steel line. Thanks I will check out the pics
Old 09-25-2005, 12:38 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by the dumontster,Sep 25 2005, 02:13 PM
It is an s2000 btw. It was hard to get a hand on the filter without at least moving the air box. The filter was on there way too tight. Whoever performed the last oil change overtightened.
Here's a hint. You can get the oil filter out more easily if you disconnect the VTEC solenoid wiring harness (just remember to plug it back in or you'll get a CEL when you start the engine next time). You can also jack up the car and take it out from underneath (can get messy, though).

A point of interest: The oil filter was most likely put on using the proper torque. It is common knowledge that an oil filter will tighten up considerably once the rubber gasket gets infiltrated with oil and is subjected to the many, many heat cycles over the thousands of miles it is on the car. You need a filter wrench to remove a filter from the engine. If you can remove it with your bare hand(s), you are either built like a gorilla or the filter was put on dangerously too loose. Generally speaking, you should not be able to turn a used filter by hand.

ps. You are the first person we've heard of who has taken out the airbox to do an oil change.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:12 PM

Awesome, I am proud to be the first! I also cleaned out the airbox because it had sand in it?? So i did have other motives to get the airbox out.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by the dumontster,Sep 25 2005, 05:12 PM
I also cleaned out the airbox because it had sand in it?? So i did have other motives to get the airbox out.
Maybe next time try a vacuum cleaner with a crevice tool?
Old 09-25-2005, 03:19 PM

maybe next time
Old 09-25-2005, 03:22 PM

Xviper, thanks for the tech article reference. i dont have an oil filter wrench so I have managed twice to get the oil filter off by hand( I am built like a gorilla btw). when i had my subee I always hand tightened the oil filter on and was able to get it off by hand to. not that it was loose, but i was able to get it off without the wrench. I will be investing in an oil wrench for next time. thanks again.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:27 PM

I was an idiot and tried to remove the oil filter by hand...

Needless to say I have an filter wrench now xD

Quick Reply: HELP: took air box off, which hose goes where?